Tangs... How Difficult are they...

A

aer21

In looking on this web page, it lists a lot og the tangs (like the power-blue) as difficult? How difficult are they, and what makes them difficult?

houndhome1

Hi, I have a 75gal with five diffent tangs, naso,hippo,yellow,sailfin, kole. They are great togther. They school very nice togther, I feed them seaweed leafs 3 times a day, they love to eat. I have a reef tank they are great with it.

fish tv

I have a yellow tang and I worry about him everyday. Sometimes he's a white as can be. Other times he is charging towards something, but there is nothing there. Occasionally he is wiggling around like he is irratated, but I see nothing wrong. My yellow tang had red lines in his fins for the longest time and they have just started to go away. Right now he is enjoying wagging his tail in the stream of bubbles from the air stone. All the time I wonder what is wrong and how can I make him better.
I have seeen the yellow tang refered to several times as being like a "canary in the coal mine" They tell us what is happening in the tank beofore anythiing happens to the whole tank
If you don't worry alot, then a tang may for you.

scubadoo

The powder blue tangs and others are often injured in collection and shipping. They are open water swimmers that reuqire plenty swimming space and lots of water movement.
The MINIMUM swimming space for most tangs is 6 feet. Some juvenile tangs can be kept briefly in smaller systems, but a 4 foot tank is too small to house most tangs to adulthood.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Houndhome1
Hi, I have a 75gal with five diffent tangs, naso,hippo,yellow,sailfin, kole. They are great togther. They school very nice togther, I feed them seaweed leafs 3 times a day, they love to eat. I have a reef tank they are great with it.

Your tank looks great, but a lot of bio-loads for a 75.... :happyfish

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by AER21
In looking on this web page, it lists a lot og the tangs (like the power-blue) as difficult? How difficult are they, and what makes them difficult?
Power blue tangs are prone to ich, so are some the tangs. I love my tangs though and yes I do worry about them all the time. Just keep good water quality and feed quality food and they'll be just fine. :happyfish

viet-tin

Originally Posted by Fish TV
I have a yellow tang and I worry about him everyday. Sometimes he's a white as can be. Other times he is charging towards something, but there is nothing there. Occasionally he is wiggling around like he is irratated, but I see nothing wrong. My yellow tang had red lines in his fins for the longest time and they have just started to go away. Right now he is enjoying wagging his tail in the stream of bubbles from the air stone. All the time I wonder what is wrong and how can I make him better.
I have seeen the yellow tang refered to several times as being like a "canary in the coal mine" They tell us what is happening in the tank beofore anythiing happens to the whole tank
If you don't worry alot, then a tang may for you.
Those red lines sound like bacterial infections. Red lines and pale white maybe HLLE?(head and lateral line erosion). Which can be caused by stray voltage and poor water quality. Im sure if you do a search you will find more info.

jmick

That's a lot of fish for a 75gal...I'd go with maybe a Yellow tang in a 75.

1journeyman

rev

Nice tank.And by the way you live in the next town over from me. :joy: :cheer:

houndhome1

I knew when I posted it the tang police would come out. I find everyone has there own level of what a tank will hold. The more fish the more active one has to be with upkeep. If u kept on top of it the tank is fine. WE also has 100lb of rock, a canister filter a double biowheel and a oversize protein skimmer to keep up with it.

scubadoo

I knew when I posted it the tang police would come out. I find everyone has there own level of what a tank will hold. The more fish the more active one has to be with upkeep. If u kept on top of it the tank is fine. WE also has 100lb of rock, a canister filter a double biowheel and a oversize protein skimmer to keep up with it.
I'm not certain how up keep/maintenace can compensate for lack of swimming space. The Naso will grow to about 18 inches long with the rest in the 8-10 inch range with the exception of the Kole. Factor in all the live rock and your system will fail long-term due to cramped quarters. Aggression and/or stress will hit due to cramped quarters .....and the biggest proetein skimmer in the world will not stop it.
I hope you plan to get a larger system in the near future.
Just trying to help you and others that may read this.

1journeyman

As Scooby said, it has nothing to do with the "tang police". It has to do with knowing your livestock and their exercise requirements...
Even a 150 gallon is going to be too small for those fish when they are all full grown.
I realize the "Tang police" term is used jokingly. Still, too often people joke about it when in fact they are just in the wrong. This is one of those cases, imho.
Here is what Michael's says about each tang you listed:
Naso- Max length 18.1 inches.. min tank 135 gal.
Hippo- Max length 12.2 inches.. min tank 100 gal.
Yellow-Max length 7.9 inches.. min. tank 75 gal
Sailfin-Max lenght 15.7 inches.. min tank 135 gal.
Kole-Max length 7.1 inches... min tank 75 Gal.
So, if you figure max length for JUST Tangs in your tank, you have over 60
inches of fish in a 75 gallon. Add to that the fact that some are grazers which means they probably aren't getting enough to eat. Add to that the fact that Tangs are prone to stress induced illnesses. Add to that the fact that it is commonly agreed (Fenner, Calfo etc.) that Tangs need at least 6 feet of swimming space...
All of that added up surely can't be a beneficial environment for the fish. Now I know that not all fish grow to max length, and I know that inches is a bad way to judge livestock stocking; However, the fish you mentioned are active, free swimmers. They REQUIRE a lot of room.
I have a 2 inch Purple Tang in my tank. He browses up and down all seven feet of my tank non-stop. I can't imagine how cramped he would feel to place him in a smaller tank; much less crowd him in the process.

salsells

in have to agree, learned the had way, had a yellow and kola in 40, the kola didn't make it but the yellow seems to be fine...i was so sad to lose bashful, he was just beautiful and i have definately learned a lesson, getting a 150 in about 3 mths so will hold off on buying anymore until then.

houndhome1

For now, all the tangs swim together very nicely and actually school. We've experienced no problems for the past 8 months. When we do, we'll upgrade. Hey, you never know what you can do until you try!

1journeyman

For now, all the tangs swim together very nicely and actually school. We've experienced no problems for the past 8 months. When we do, we'll upgrade. Hey, you never know what you can do until you try!

I understand what you are saying, but I disagree... if you fail, fish die.
Experts have studied Tangs. They understand their behavior, their metabolism, diet, etc. Success for 8 months does not equate to "breaking the mold". Now, if you have some scientific data, or a decent workable hypothesis over why Tangs don't need the room that the experts say they need; Great, post it!
I'm all about learning more in this hobby. Already we've seen huge leaps in aquarium keeping from amateur aquarists. In this case, however, you're fighting a losing battle up a steep hill.
Have you kept track of how much your fish have grown? Are they exhibiting normal growth for their species?
I respect your opinions.. and it's certainly your tank and pets. But when you say "wev'e experienced no problems, when we do we'll upgrade" I see a problem. The first problem you see may be a sudden tank crash, breakout of disease etc. It won't neccessarily be a slow acting decline.
Good luck with it. Like I said, though, if you are determined to try to raise those fish to maturity you need 200+ gallon tank with very light bioload other than the tangs (cause they are going to get big if they are healthy).