tangs, tangs

eelman

I am now positive that I am going to get a tang. I was planning on getting a purple, but I started thinking anout a powderblue, or a sailfin. My lfs has a 3"/4 sail fin that I am really thinking about. my tank is not fully matured, and I am still planning on adding some docile fish, so I can get my lfs to hold him as long as I would like.
U can reed about my tank under the post: Fishes for the reef aquarium. thankss for all of the help

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Well, EelMan I think we're gonna have to slow things down just a bit. I love tangs as much as the next person but I won't put a Tang into a tank until it is fully mature and 8 months old. A powder blue tang is very hard to keep if you don't have a large supply of algea. Purple tangs,which I'm planning to get next year, are a bit hardier but the cost is very large... are you ready to spend that money for a fish that needs superb water and food. Docile fish... could work....maybe not. My Blue Tang seems very docile but he has gone on rampages before. Please tell me what fish you will put in with the tang.

eelman

I have a thing with the fish store where I can get the purple for $40.
the fish that will be with him are:
skunk clown
firefish goby
mandrine goby
2 banner cardinals
yellow head jawfish
possibly a bandded goby
the purple or powderblue will be aprox.1"
I will get rid of him if he gets to big before I upgrade, or if there is a major problem.
oh yea, and I will feed them tang heavan ( www.ipsf.com ) which I will grow in my refugium.
What about a 3/4" sailfin??

mr . salty

The mandarine will not survive with less than 100lbs of GOOD live rock in a very mature tank.And small Sailfin will not make it with the purple.They will fight to the death.STEVE

eelman

yea I know that the tangs would fight to the death, that is why I am only getting one of them. my question is which tang to get
1" purple
1" powder blue
3/4" sailfin

jimi

Of those I would get the purple tang only because I really like mine but the sailfin is a good choice also just depends on the colors you want. I would definately stay away from the powder blues for now. As Steve mentioned the mandarin will starve not only because of the lack of live rock but also because tangs are aggressive feeders they zoom around the tank eating all food dropped in, the mandarin would not get enough to keep it alive.

lionfish

LionFish says....
Definitly the Purple Tang. Purples are the easiest to keep. And they get along with more fish than the others. A SailFin isn't that bad either but the Purple is much more colorfol and active.

mr . salty

I don't have a purple,but I do have a Sailfin and I think they are much better looking than the purple. Plus the purples are so danm expensive.I'd think about the sailfin.STEVE

eelman

IF my lfs can get the purple in at about 1" than that is what I will get. I f not than I will get the sailfin. thanks so much for all of the help.