Tangs Too Big?

urodude

I currently have a hippo tang and foxface in my 115 gallon reef. They have been in this tank for 4-5 years and are now 5-6 inches each. There are about 5 other fish in the tank, all under 3 inches so I don't think the tank itself is overcrowded.
Question is, is the tank now too small for these two tangs.
I now have a 360 gallon fish only tank with plenty of room- only issue there is I already have 3 yellow tangs in that tank- Would they go after the blue hippo or foxface?
Thanks

dogstar

IMO you should at least put the Hippo ( or both ) in the larger tank. The Yellows might be a little agressive at first but I think theres plenty of room that it may not last for long. If you feel the Hippo is as healthy as can be then it should be able to handle the stress OK without getting sick.
As long as there is plenty of hideing places like caves in the rock for it/them. Of course, everythings a gamble in this hobby.

unleashed

I think the option is completly your wether or not to move the fish over right now.yor tank size is adequite for both those species for now yes id say they would do well in a 360 very happyily one word of caution on both the fish being moved hippo tangs have a real knack of getting ich when they get moved about.if you have a foxface lo(yellow) the yellows may give it some guff to start with but should settle very quickly in that size tank good luck

boalgf

I doubt the foxface will ever need to be moved out of the 115. They don't normally reach their max 9" length. Even if it did, it would be fine in there. I do think the hippo should be moved before it gets to 1'+ in length.

urodude

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll move the hippo first and see how he does and how the 3 yellow tangs react.

unleashed

Originally Posted by boalgf
I doubt the foxface will ever need to be moved out of the 115. They don't normally reach their max 9" length. Even if it did, it would be fine in there. I do think the hippo should be moved before it gets to 1'+ in length.
the hippo shouldn't have much problem with the yellows they are a sailfin variety and the hippo is a sergion variety and if hes larger they wont be able to bug him so much.and tangs are alot less aggressive and territorial in groups of 3 or more I have a somewhat larger mixture of tangs and they all do quite well together also soon to be adding a majestic foxface to the reef.the tangs i keep in my reef are unicorn, scopus,hippo,sailfin,bristletooth with no conflicts