tangs

chris0796

what is a type of tang that could live in a 75 gallon tank for its entire life by itself with coral and that is fairly easy to care for.

mudplayerx

If you are going by the book, then a minimum tank size of 90 gallons should be used and a minimum of three of the same species of tang should be kept.

autofreak44

yeah but like mudplayer said, make shure you have three, because 1 will fight with stuff in your tank, 2 will fight with each other, and 3 is the magic number. correct me if im wrong

N

nereef

i don't agree with putting 3 tangs in a 75gal. 1 kole or 1 yellow.

psusocr1

the only tank IMO thats hould go in a 75 is a kole tang.. not a yellow,, certainly not for its whole life either

addicted2

what about a scopas tang? I have one in my 75. just got it and now I am wondering..will it fight with my other fish?..they all seem ok right now....but?

hot883

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
If you are going by the book, then a minimum tank size of 90 gallons should be used and a minimum of three of the same species of tang should be kept.
When is it ever necessary to keep 3? 1 would be fine by himself, 2 NO, 1 yes. And definately not 3 in that size of tank.

ratrod

I have four tangs in a 252g 1 kole and three yellow. Sometimes I wonder if even thats enough room. A tang will live in much smaller, but really thrive? Thats up for debat. Part of me thinks that anything that cannot reproduce is not thriving. Has a yellow tang ever reproduced in captivity? Opinions? :thinking:

dhughesz28

anything that cannot reproduce is not thriving
I’m not sure I totally agree with that statement. I would bet that most people who have SW tanks do not have fish reproducing. Are you saying that every one of these fish are not thriving?? Lets be honest, just by keeping ANY fish in an aquarium is holding back the natural growth and habits of the fish to some degree. But given the right conditions, fish can most certainly be happy and thrive in a home aquarium without reproducing.

ratrod

HTML Code:
[pre]dhughsz28 wrote:
I’m not sure I totally agree with that statement. I would bet that most people who have SW tanks do not have fish reproducing. Are you saying that every one of these fish are not thriving?? Lets be honest, just by keeping ANY fish in an aquarium is holding back the natural growth and habits of the fish to some degree. But given the right conditions, fish can most certainly be happy and thrive in a home aquarium without reproducing.[/pre]
I'm not making a statemate, and well aware of wellness of captivity. But one would wonder about happiness of certain species. Do well yes, but completly thrive without reproduction, not sure. Not sure it would work for me.

praisethel

I have a yellow and a naso in my 75 gallon. They have lived together for years. I got the yellow tang when he was small and has grown considerably. The naso has stayed the same size. I'm a no nothing amatuer, though.

30-xtra high

Originally Posted by ratrod
I have four tangs in a 252g 1 kole and three yellow. Sometimes I wonder if even thats enough room. A tang will live in much smaller, but really thrive? Thats up for debat. Part of me thinks that anything that cannot reproduce is not thriving. Has a yellow tang ever reproduced in captivity? Opinions? :thinking:
i don't know how to only quote one line... but i'm quoting the " has to reproduce to thrive"... wel what about angels?, nobody has ever bred impertaors, or any other angels that i know (correct me if i'm wrong), does that mean they aren't thriving in tanks?
and you can either have a yellow or a scopas or a kole tang.

N

nereef

some pygmy angels have been captively bred.
i agree, somewhat, with what ratrod has said about "thriving."

O

oreo12

I have 1 yellow tang in my 75 every time any of the other fish start to fight it jumps in between them to break it up. It never bothers any thing otherwise

murph145

i would stick with a kole tang or maybe a small yellow tang... books say 90g or more but i personally think a yellow would be fine.....
i have 2 yellow tangs in my 180 thney dont fight at all they go around pickin at algae together kinda cool to watch them buddy up

mudplayerx

I've read that keeping yellow tangs solo can result in the tang attacking other tankmates. I've also read that if you keep them in pairs, one can harass the other until it starves. My source quoted three as the magical number, and said a minimum of a 90 gallon tank would be needed for three juveniles.
I don't recall where I got the information.

Not to long ago I had a 400 gallon with the regal, powder blue, and yellow. I loved how much room my fish had and always considered that size to be the right size for tangs. Since then, I parted with all but the yellow tang, a few clowns, damsel, and coral beauty. I have them all piled into a very nice 110 acrylic. I really feel with the rock that the 110 is too small for my one tang. My next tank will be atleast 500 gallons and I plan on getting a school of Yellow Tangs. I have a 180 freshwater and by looking at it, its about the minimum size for a yellow tang to be happy. Just my thoughts.