TANGS

tjswanson

I have a 75 gal. reef tank. It is about 8 weeks old. Right now I have 2 clown fish, 5 chromis, and 100+ pounds of live rock. I want 2 tangs. I am getting a purple tang and powder blue or Regal tang.. I wanted to know which one would be better; a poweder blue or regal tang. Also in 3 weeks I will be getting a Flame Angel. My water conditions are perfect, except for 5-10 nitrates which isn't really that bad. PLMK with suggestions

kris

The regal tang for now would be your best bet as he is probably the hardiest of them all, you could put the purple in later but not until your tank is really well established. And I thought you said you had a reef going--that's alot of fish for a reef, 5-10 nitrates is ok for fish but not inverts.

tjswanson

From what I heard powder blue tangs weren't very hardy and I also heard that purple tangs were one of the hardiest tangs. The purple tang I am getting is in the place I get my fish. The guy is holding it for me until I am ready to take it... I thought I would add the purple and powder blue tangs at the same time..... I only want 2 tangs... I have read that regal tangs can be mean towards other species of tangs, so that's why I was wondering which was better, a powder blue or regal. I have everything running on my tank. Money really isn't an object. I just don't have a thousand dollar lighting system.

fishgirl

But then u couldn't get the purple one, so go with the powder blue, THEN then purple AFTER you get the flame angel.

bamm bamm

Ive had my regal tang for about a week now he now seems to be doing well and he doesnt hide as much as he used to I recomend them...Plus the look pretty cool....Dan