Tangs

H

hogwild

Of the following: Yellow, Purple or Naso, which would be the best Tang I could get as far as disposition, care, etc? 110gal reef tank. No fish yet.

veskas

As long as you put it in last, the purple or yellow is fine for your reef. The Naso has a great disposition, but will grow way too big for a 110 IMO.

fishgirl

I agree -- get the yellow or purple -- both are sooo cute, energetic, smart, and colorful! I would choose b/t these!
Hey Veskas: how big do the nasos get? I have never had one, but I always thought a 100 gallon or more was considered big enough -- please inform me on what size is the minimum for nasos ... thanx!

veskas

Fishgirl.......
they easily get about 10-12" so I would recommend a 110 gal. minimum (preferably a 180+) for a Naso just like the large angels:emperor, queen, passer, etc. Naso is a beautiful fish, though & quite a character with her "lipstick on"!!!

kris

While these Naso's CAN be as large as this, and I have seen a few. Most specimens are smaller and will only grow as much as their tank lets them.. Remember there is a huge difference in wild size and captive size. All tangs, though, need alot of swimming area.

fishgirl

So, bottom line, Kris, is putting a small naso in a 100gal tank being mean to it? (Understood that the tank is under-stocked, pleanty of swimming room.) I would like to try this, but if it's mean, or bad for the tank, I will imediatly give up the idea, as these are the farthest things from my intrests!

kris

Absolutely not-100g is perfect for even a medium/large naso, like say 6-10 inches. The only ones that ever reach those 18+ inches are caught that way, and have never reached that size in captivity. I had mine for 6 years and he stayed at about 9 inches.
Although, on the flip side, if you do come across a really huge one in the store don't take him home to your 100g tank and assume this is ok.