tank care at night

bigdawg

I was just wondering if anybody covers their tank up with a sheet at night and until the lights are turned on each day. The room where my tank is gets a lot of morning light, so I cover it up at an attempt to simulate the actual darkness they would experience in the wild.

bentrue

my tank just sits in the dark room at night. no sheet over it. my LFS has lights on its show tank that come on only during the night hours.

jakob4001

do not really think is a major issue unless you are HARDCOREE that sets up specific seasons simulations just so they can watch thier corals make woopie in the night lights...although, might be few hobby fish that prefer the season method as well

bigdawg

Well I don't think the moon and stars have quite the lighting effect that a room fill with sunlight does. I knew it wasn't a big deal, just wondering what everyone else does.

royce

I usually turn the lights off when I go to bed, but don't do any extra covering of the tank. Sometimes, if I'm up late enough, I notice that my puffer has "gone to bed" in his corner and I take that as a sign that I should turn the tank lights out. There aren't too many other lights in the room though

vkesu

IMO ..unless the sunlight hits tank directly, I wouldn't be concerned at all. The natural sunlight should be gradual enough not to arrouse the sleepyheads! ;) My fish don't wake up completely unless they see me peering :rolleyes: into the tank for a long time . (hoping for a few goodies).