Tank cover methods

nuro

Ok so i eventually want to get a midas blenny and from what ive read theyre jumpers, now i need to cover my tank right? well i dont wanna go with glass becuase a) its expensive to get custom cut b) ive read alot about the importance of gas exchange c) i dotn wanna cook the tank.. so my question is has any used screen covers? is there a downside?

michaeltx

most common used is eggcrate from a home improvment store its also called a light diffuser where there are holes for the light and air to get through but not the fishes.
screen wont really work because it will diffuse the light coming into the tank and colect salt creep really badly.
Mike

ci11337

Someday, i wanna take plastic strips, cut them to sit in the lip of the tank glue fishing line to it forming a grid then put another piece of plastic on top. (so basically a window screen except with fishing line.) figured this would be like eggcrate except let in more light.

nuro

haha im t-rarded. I kept reading about egg-crate but never actually looked at a pic, this whole time i thought people were like using, literally, egg crates. I have a certain desire for aesthetics and ruled that out immediately.

michaeltx

LOL dont worry when I first started that what I though and was trying to figure out why that would help LOL
Mike

grim_reefer

there is a clear plastic mesh stuff out there.. looks just like chicken wire, but its plastic (or plastic-like) and clear.. Has the same hole spacing as chicken wire.. Not sure of the exact name, but it works very well, and allows more light to go through then the egg crate while doing the same job.. not to mention, with a frame it looks alot better too!