Tank crash - I need advice!

My 29g reef tank crashed (lost everything except some crabs) and I need some advice. I am in the planning stages of setting up my 70g and I'm wondering what I should do with the sand, live rock, and refugium/mud filter in the meantime. I need to tear down the 29g (wife wants to turn it into a freshwater setup for her) The 29g reef had been established for over 2yrs and I don't want to lose the beneficial aspects of the LR, sand and refugium.
I stuffed the 50lbs of LR into a 10g quarantine tank but I don't think that I can fit the sand in there. Should I try to preserve the sand (put it in a bucket with a powerhead) or should I just let it go and start with a new sand bed when I start the 70g?
What about the refugium/mud filter? There is no water flow since it is no longer connected to the 29g. Should I put a powerhead or put a power filter (originally on the quarantine) to keep some water flow?
I guess my main question is should I try to keep the sand from the tank and refugium/mud filter intact, let it dry out or just toss it and start new when I get the 70g started?
Sorry for the long post. Any advice/thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks,
Miles

chris s

Well im no Marine wiz. But how long do you think it will be untill you get a new tank? If it is soon then keep everything in the new 10g. Keep the live sand in a wet circulated place and put a hang on filter on the 10g. Throw the crabs in with the rock. I dont know if you should add any flakes to the 10g to feed the bacteria. If you are going to be waiting a while to set it up again throw out the sand and if you know your rock is safe, try to sell it back to your lfs along with the crabs. Sorry this had to happen to you. Like I said Im not a wiz, but this is what i would do. But I'm not always right.:notsure:

Chris, thanks for the reply.
I already have the 70g but it will be a couple months before its ready - I have to get it drilled, build the stand, etc..
I was hoping to get the 70g started with the sand and lr from the 29g that crashed. Just curious, why should I get rid of the sand and LR since it's going to be a couple months 'til the 70g is ready?
Thanks,
Miles

laddy

I'd keep the LR, however, the cuase of your crash may have been the LS. I say start with new sand.

chris s

If you are keeping the LS then keep it wet with some power heads in whatever you are going to keep it in. This might be too late. I was just saying that is would be easier to throw it out and get new if it was going to be a while till the new set up was started. If Laddy is right and I do now know if he is you might want to throw it out. I would think that if you let it cycle in your new tank (when it is ready) then you should be able to keep it.