Tank Cycle

gregvabch

technically.....yes, some fish can. should you submitt them to it? most people on these boards say no. most pet stores will tell you that it's ok to use damsels to cycle your tank, i've even heard of people using clowns since they're related, but the fish friendly way to cycle a tank is with a bunch of uncured live rock or some shrimp from the grocery store stuffed into some pantyhose. damsels are liked by few because of their aggressiveness and the fact that they are territorial and hard to get back out of your tank if you have any rockwork. also, a safe guesstimate would be that up to half of however many you get will die during the course of your cycle from stress.

D

daniel411

Yes,
But would you want to live in a toxic environment?
Have chemicals restrict your ability to convert the oxygen in your blood.
Have your gills actually burn... if you had them.
Etc.

stillfrodo

Although technically yes you can cycle your tank with live fish such as damsels. IMO it is cruel. There are so many other ways to cycle ie: LR raw shrimp wrapped in pantyhose or filter bag. All will give you the same results. I cycled my tank with 120lbs of LR. Cycle went fast. Also if you cycle with damsels they are an agressive fish( the exception being blue-green chromis') and if you need to remove them, you will be tearing your tank apart to try and catch them. Others on this board might disagree with me but why use a live fish when you can cycle with other things.Again just my opnion.