Tank Cycle

bigfishy

My tank is cycling and I have some brown stuff on the top of the sand. looks like a coating of some sort. I was wondering if anyone knows what it is. I am assuming that it is the brown alge that I have heard about. Is it good for the cycle and if not how should I get rid of it. Thanks

melbournefl

Normal part of cycling don't worry about it at this point. I have it *covering* my whole tank right now and, although it looks kinda' gross, let's me know something's happening :D
Later,
Paul

pmauro

As the phosphates in the water are used up by the diatoms (brown algae) it should clear some. If it is real bad you can use Kents Phosphate sponge to get rid of the phosphates, as the tank comes out of cycle you can use blue legged hermits to help clean it up.

melbournefl

hmmmm okay now you've gotten me a bit worried, my water tests at 0 phosphates and, as I mentioned, it's covered with the diatoms. :eek:
Later,
Paul

pmauro

Not to worry like was said it is normal and i was only explaining one of the possibilities for the bloom it will get better, I an using hermit grabs to help clean my tank up, but I am near the end of my cycle;)