Tank Cycling

balltung75

I am cycling my tank and I got a diatome bloom and i was wondering if i need to do water changes!? its been 2 weeks and I havent done any water changes!?

drew2005

If your still cycling then there is no need to do a water change yet. Dont worry about the diatoms they will do away on their own.

hot883

Originally Posted by Balltung75
I am cycling my tank and I got a diatome bloom and i was wondering if i need to do water changes!? its been 2 weeks and I havent done any water changes!?

If you do a water change now IMO it will increase the cycle time. Just wait it out. Check your levels and post them. The Diatom will go away, no worries.

murph

Water changes didn't seem to slow down my cycle at all. Lasted 27 days. Then again I cycled with a few damsels. If you don't have any fish in the tank I don't think I would bother. Save the salt mix.
But then again, and there is always a bug but in this hobby, I think another benefit of doing water changes during the cycle is that you not only end up with zero ammonia and nitrites at the end but I also end up with nearly zero nitrates when the tank finished up. IMO once nitrates gain any kind of "foot hold" they are nearly impossible to knock down around the zero level there after. Good luck on your new tank.