Tank Cycling

newaquagirl

Hi, I'm pretty new to the hobby although I've had a tank previously but never encountered this problem. So I have a 72 gallon tank that I have been cycling for about 3 weeks now, it has LS and LR, and I just got about 6 green chromis in there... I have noticed that the rock is increasing getting dirty and so is the sand... What do I need to do? I haven't made any water changes, could that be the problem?

pegasus

Is this a new set up? If so, the tank probably hasn't finished cycling. It's better to let it finish cycling before adding any fish. Chromis are hardy fish, but it's more humane to seed a new tank with fish food or a piece of shrimp. Are you testing the water weekly? What are the results of the tests? If your ammonia and nitrites are still high, the tank hasn't cycled yet. There may not be enough beneficial bacteria built up to handle 6 fish just yet. If your rocks and sand are turning brown, it may be algae. How much sand and rock do you have? What kind of filtration are you using? Sorry about all the questions, but there are lots of factors involved...

newaquagirl

Thanks for the response... Yes, it is a brand new set up. I have tested the water and everything seems fine. pH is usually between 8.0 & 8.2, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0 ppm and nitrate is 0. I am using the API test kit. I tested the salt level last night and it was at 1.028. I am running a wet/dry and I have about an inch and a half of a sand bed and about 30lbs of live rock right now... I will get more live rock but need pay day to come around :)

newaquagirl

Hi, I have another question that has nothing to do with my current problem my tank is having... I'm thinking of going with aggressive fish in this tank like triggers, lionfish, groupers, tangs but I also want an anemone with maybe a tomato clown... Is that possible with the triggers?

pegasus

1. Your readings seem to be perfect. A little too perfect, but yeah... perfect. I know it's expensive, but you should definitely add more rock. 1 - 1 1/2 pounds per gallon is normally recommended. What are you using to test the salinity? If it's a hydrometer, you should compare it with the reading of a refractometer. Hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate. I started off with an IO hydrometer. It read 1.023 SG, when in actuality it was 1.031 SG. Most refractometers compensate for temperature, and are the best way to get accurate measurements.
2. Clowns are not very aggressive, so it might be better to pass on that if you are going for triggers and groupers. If it can get the clown in it's mouth, it will eat it. You also mentioned these in plural. I think you should check to see how big the fish you listed will grow to be, and the space requirements for them. 75 gallons will run out of room in a hurry when you start adding large fish. The largest fish in my 125 might reach 7". Bigger fish require bigger and better filtration as they can create quite a large amount of waste. Bigger mouths equal bigger poop.

bang guy

If you have live sand (real live sand) then technically you really don't need any rock. The reverse is also true.

newaquagirl

Thanks Pegasus... I also seem to think the readings are "really" perfect... I was using a hydrometer in the beginning and recently purchased a refractometer and the last reading I gave you was from the refractometer - 1.028. On 8/17 I measured the salinity with both and I got the following readings: Hydrometer - 1.024 and Refractometer - 1.029. I topped off the tank yesterday with freshwater and when tested last night it read (refractometer) 1.028.
I may have to rethink my fish if I want the clown and anemone... Really wanted to aggressive guys but also want the pretty guys, lol. Is there a happy medium that you can recommend?
I agree with more live rock, thanks. Pictured below is the dirty rock and sand, what should I do?

Bang Guy, thanks for the input. I was under the impression that you needed both... But what do I know.

geridoc

The technical term for chromis and clowns in a tank with most triggers or lionfish is "lunch". Don't do it. Decide which way you want to go, and stick with it.

flower

LOL...On the original question...Do you have a clean up crew? As your tank matures, the algae and "dirt" are the norm, we then get critters that like to eat the offending stuff to clean up the tank. Keep in mind with triggers and lionfish...snails, brittle or serpent stars, and hermits get eaten, an urchin becomes the best algae eater for that type of tank. So indeed decide on your stock, and proceed accordingly.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by newaquagirl http:///t/396206/tank-cycling#post_3529555
Sorry about the pic... I see it didn't post. But here it is, dirty rock and sand. What should I do?

That should go away on it's own...how long has it been like that? I know you were talking aggressive tank, but ... hermit crabs love to eat brown algae.

newaquagirl

Flower, it's been like that for about a week... I'm getting a clean crew delivered today consisting of blueleg hermit crabs, an emerald crab, turbo snails, cleaner clams and nassarius snails... Right now I only have green chromis in there...

newaquagirl

Wow, the more I read, the more I see I'm going in the wrong direction with everything... The clean up crew is not for the aggressive fish that I'm contemplating... What to do, what to do...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by newaquagirl http:///t/396206/tank-cycling#post_3529559
Wow, the more I read, the more I see I'm going in the wrong direction with everything... The clean up crew is not for the aggressive fish that I'm contemplating... What to do, what to do...
First, from now on, do all top offs and water changes with RO water. If you can't get your own RO filter unit, most large grocery stores have a refill bottle station...It's just RO filtered water, (not as good as your own would be, but much better then tap water) and it's pretty cheap, The Super Walmart sells it for 37 cents a gallon here by me.
As for a CUC...the urchin is an algae gobbler, so make sure you have enough to keep it from starving, but I'm pretty sure no trigger or lionfish is going to mess with it.

newaquagirl

Thanks. I'll check out the Walmart by me, I've seen the water machine but never purchased any. I know there are different urchins, which would you recommend??? And thanks for all the help everyone...

pegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by newaquagirl http:///t/396206/tank-cycling#post_3529565
Yes I am...

Uhm... that may be where the majority of your problem lies. RO/DI water is far superior as it removes all the chemicals, metals, and contaminants that tap water contains. Dechlorinators remove the chlorine and some heavy metals, but they don't get everything. An RO/DI unit is highly recommended.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by newaquagirl http:///t/396206/tank-cycling#post_3529577
Thanks. I'll check out the Walmart by me, I've seen the water machine but never purchased any. I know there are different urchins, which would you recommend??? And thanks for all the help everyone...
They will also have 5 gallon jugs you can purchase (not next to the water station, in home section area). They should be under $10.00 each. I used 4 of them when I was buying my RO water at Wal-Mart. The costs of doing this for roughly a year is close to the cost of purchasing your own RO/DI unit. So, if you plan on sticking with the hobby for at least a couple of years, purchasing your own unit is the better deal. The math more than works out.