Tank Cycling

pegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by newaquagirl http:///t/396206/tank-cycling#post_3529559
Wow, the more I read, the more I see I'm going in the wrong direction with everything... The clean up crew is not for the aggressive fish that I'm contemplating... What to do, what to do...
You can still go with aggressive fish, and the inverts can be their first meal? A very expensive, gourmet meal...
These fish are carnivores, and will require meaty foods, IE: frozen prepared foods. You need to think long-term and consider the cost of feeding them over their lifespan. Just something to consider...

newaquagirl

Thanks Sweatervest, plan on staying with it because I love to come home and be mesmerized by the individual styles of these fish… I will look at purchasing water at Walmart and some jugs…
Pegasus, I guess when I do get the first aggressive fish, they will indeed have an expensive meal… Oh well, my fault for not doing more homework. I’ve already started stocking the freezer with shrimp and silversides… Some site recommend veggies for triggers, like what???

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by newaquagirl http:///t/396206/tank-cycling/20#post_3529584
Thanks Sweatervest, plan on staying with it because I love to come home and be mesmerized by the individual styles of these fish… I will look at purchasing water at Walmart and some jugs…
Pegasus, I guess when I do get the first aggressive fish, they will indeed have an expensive meal… Oh well, my fault for not doing more homework. I’ve already started stocking the freezer with shrimp and silversides… Some site recommend veggies for triggers, like what??
Great to hear!!! But my post was more for you not to buy the jugs and refill every time you need water at Wal-Mart, but rather to suggest that you purchase your own RO/DI unit. BRS makes a bunch of pretty good units for a decent price. Also, Air water Ice makes some that will compare to the BRS ones. You can spend around $150.00 and get everything you need. If you spent $200.00 you get some nice bells and whistles (TDS meter, flush kit, and such).
Just for four jugs and the first time water fill at Walmart you are looking at around $50.00 and close to $10.00 each time you fill four 5g jugs. If you filled up once a month and spent $10.00 each month that is $120.00 plus the $50.00 to get the jugs you would have already spent the cost of a RO/DI unit.
If you plan on being in the hobby for a couple of years, buy your own unit, if you want to save time and money.

pegasus

Triggers are carnivores, but they will eat marine algae, also. Triggerfish need a varied diet of meaty foods including; squid, krill, clams, small fish and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth. Not sure which kind of trigger you're looking to get, but even the smaller ones are recommended for 125 gallon or larger tanks. If you only put one trigger and nothing else in a 72g, it's going to get cramped once it's grown.
He's a pretty good article on triggers to help you understand what you're getting into... err... what lies in store... uhm... what you can expect:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-08/dc/

newaquagirl

Pegasus thanks for the article. Hmmm food for thought. Okay not gonna do anything in the immediate future since just got my CUC... Let me see what they are able to do for a couple of weeks.
Sweatervest13, I hear you but for right now I may need to go that route. I am a renter and am not sure if I can even connect an RO filter myself. I am not even supposed to have a tank larger than 30 gallons or so it says on the lease... Oh well! I'll look into the ones you mentioned, thanks alot.
Bang Guy thanks for the input... All of you have given me loads of info.

tthemadd1

Triggers will eat long spine urchins. Takes some time but eventually the trigger will nibble down the spines until it gets to the nice meaty center. Triggers will also eat the snails and hermits.
It you do go aggressive minimize the lighting schedule to keep the algae down.
Once your tank has matured slightly start adding fish slow to balance out the bacterial load

newaquagirl

Thanks tthemadd1. I have actually minimizing the lights since Monday and have given some thought about not going aggressive with my tank... There are just some things I don't want to go without in my tank... I especially love the thought of having anemones in the tank...
The mexican turbo snails I got seem to be doing a good job with the tank algae too.