Tank drilling. Can you do it vertically?

gotpancit

I just ordered my supply from glass holes. Can I drill my hole on the side of my tank without having to flip it on its side?

salty blues

Originally Posted by gotpancit
http:///forum/post/2976981
I just ordered my supply from glass holes. Can I drill my hole on the side of my tank without having to flip it on its side?
I think it can be done if you are careful, although I put my tank on it's side when I drilled it. It seems that it might be easier to steady the drill that way.
Good luck with your tank.

spanko

Have never done any glass drilling but I think you want to have it down flat, put a ring of plumbers putty around the area so you can add water to the ring to keep the hole saw cool whiile you are drilling. I'm sure others will chime in though.

florida joe

You can drill it vertically the key in any drilling is to make sure the drill is perpendicular to the surface drilled. Use a spray bottle filled with cold water and have someone constantly spray the drill bit as you drill

sickboy

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2977483
You can drill it vertically the key in any drilling is to make sure the drill is perpendicular to the surface drilled. Use a spray bottle filled with cold water and have someone constantly spray the drill bit as you drill
yep, there is a good you tube video on how to do this.

gypsana

Personally I would get a scrap piece of glass from a glass shop (not tempered) to practice on. The video is good but drilling glass is not as easy as it may appear. I have seen a coworker whom has been doing in for 20 + years break glass. Make sure your drill is perfectly straight. Good luck!

gotpancit

Very cool. The video on youtube is pretty good, so I know it can be done. The videos on drilling into tempered glass are funny to watch though. Fortunately I'm not drilling into anything tempered.