Tank durability

ja

Does any one have any comments on acrylic aquariums. I heard they are easier to scratch. If so can the scratch be repaired. Also how long does an acrylic tank last as opposed to a glass tank. Is there a time where tanks should be replaced to avoid breakage. Thanks

the dude

i dont know about longevity, but acrylic does scratch VERY easily. If the scratch is on the outside, it's easy enough to repair-there are several kits to buy-but if its on the inside, you have to drain the tank. Big pain
There are probably people who know more-and paossibly check some web sites. I know http://www.tenecor.com makes acrylic tanks, and they do make custom ones too

jimm

There are scratch removal kits for the inside that you can use underwater. They include different grades of wet / dry sandpaper and work very well. However, removing scratches with them takes a fair bit of effort and time.
Acrylic tanks last a very long time if made correctly. Glass tanks are said to last about 15 years, but I know of many that have lasted much longer. With glass you need to be very careful about making certain that the base is perfectly flat and level. Most glass tanks leak or break because they are tweaked or skewed when they are moved or the tank stand is not level.