Tank Finished Cycling

dpdiver

Well it was a long 7 weeks, I am surprised I was able to hold off for so long. I was having some problems with my Amonia Spiking several times but I took a sample to the LFS and Amonia was 0! Bought a new kit and retested at home it was still 0! So I will do a water change tomorrow and go and get my first real fish! Not that my 3 Damsels don't count. LOL
Water temp 80
Salinity 1.023
Ph 8.4
Alk Norm
PO4 0.2ppm
NO2 0ppm
N03 2.5ppm
SiO2 1ppm
I want to start off with a Perc and a Green Hairy Mushroom. I am not sure if I shouls add a glean up crew as of yet. All of my Diantiams dissapeared (I think my powerhead slipping and blowing everything around helped also) :rolleyes:
How long should I wait until I add my first coral? I do not want to start jumping the gun now.
Thanks for the help!
Milt
Here is a pic of my tank

E

elan

i would wait at least a week after you finished cycling before doing a waterchange.... give your biofiltration some extra time to become more established.... after your waterchange, give at least another week to make sure nothing is going to go south on you... then add the perc and mushroom... very good choices..

tlk

IMO, I would add a black or dark blue background to your setup there. When you add the fish, they will show off better. Plus, you don't see all the wires and stuff in the background. Set up looks good!

dpdiver

Tlk,
Thanks for the advice, I think I will do that right away. I was wondering what I could do to hide the cables.
Any suggestions on what I can use to do that. I can't move the tank to paint it, Maybe some colored plastic sheets?

tlk

Your LFS has sheets that you can buy that you can tape on to the back of your tank. Usually many different backgrounds to choose from. I don't like the backgrounds with pictures on them as they take away from what you have worked so hard to create in your tank. Black and Dark blue will show off the fish nicely.

broomer5

Hey Milt .. nice looking tank so far !
If it were me .... I would maybe add a fish and clean up crew before adding any corals.
It's normally advised to wait a couple few months for the tank to mature somewhat - before adding corals.
Mushrooms are pretty easy and hardy - but I think I would still wait a little while.