Tank in College?

laxzach

Im not sure if this is in the right section so I apologize in advanced.
I have had a 30 gallon reef tank for a little over a year now. I am heading to college next year and I just wondering what everyone thinks about having a fish tank in college. To much of a hassle or is it worth it?
I would also like to know about how much time do you guys/girls put into your tank a week.
Thanks

lexluethar

I think it would be too much of a hassle IMO. Just depends on the type of person you are. I know now after college that I couldn't have handled having a tank a few years ago while in college. Just too much going on, too much beer, too much partying, and too many stupid people around my house / dorm.
Just depends on your friends, and realize A LOT will change when you are in college, interests, friends, girls, etc.

L

lsu

I could have never had a tank in college, mainly due to my idiot friends. A few guys in the house had pets and the only that survived were a goat and a black lab. The others unfortunately met accidental deaths. (Should probably move this to the aquarium)

itom37

It depends on what your living situation will be. I am in medical school and have 3 tanks. I'm busy, but it's possible because I live in a house that I don't have to vacate at certain times. My first year in college (dorm life, gotta love it), we HAD to move out during winter break. That's a month at some schools where you can't maintain your tank... aka your tank is dead. Then comes summer vacation... most people aren't around.
If you're planning to live in the dorms, unless it's near where you live and you'll be able to access it when needed, don't bother. Same with summer vacation. Will you be around? Are you planning to live where you're living for an extended period of time? Of course you can take the tank down after less than a year, but it might not be worth the hassle.
Time wise... college is about 90% free time.

lexluethar

I had plenty of free time to keep a tank, but I had stupid friends, and stupid parties. We fed our plants beer, and its amazing how some of my friends survived the early years of college, much less having them take care of an animal.
I just think the lifestyle, and the fact you have to move out of the dorms a lot during winter/summer it wouldn't be worth it to me. If you live at home now, just keep the tank there, have your parents feed the fish and come home every few weeks to clean it/change the water out.

fenrir

I started my 14g in my second year of college and I have plenty of time to take care of my tank. I do keep corals now so I am able to keep the water in good condition. Just have to mkae sure you stay on task with water changes.

wangotango

Check with the college, as they might have restrictions.
I'll be going to Penn State in the fall, and I was reading through the info about boarding and they say, "Animals are not permitted in residence halls for reasons of sanitation and safety. One small tank for tropical fish or goldfish is permitted." They never say how big is too big

I just think it would be a pain though. What are you going to do with it in the summer, or when you're off for a long period of time?
-Justin

A

alexmir

I am going to college full time, taking care of my wife(no kids thank goodness, way too young) and working part time and still find plenty of time for my tank, just have to arrange maintanence around everything else.

gmann1139

I wouldn't worry so much about the tank there as the breaks.
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Long Winter Break
Spring Break
Summer
That's a lot of time you're going to be away where its not really worth it to move the tank.
I know in my dorm they turned power off during breaks as well.

lilyandchris08

We have a 20 gallon reef tank and it is the highlight of our house. Last year in the dorm we decided not to have one but looking back on it I could have. I stayed in the dorms over all breaks and wish I would have started it last year. The biggere the tank the harder they are to move. I know that over short breaks my campus has RA and security at it that love to take of my fish. I think that you need to see what your environment you will be living in first and read a couple of the rules but when you are stressed out, it is one of the best things in the world to help you relax.

grabbitt

I'm a junior at Purdue and in my apartment I have a 3 gallon, a 24 gallon, and a 30 gallon up and running. It can be a bit of a hassle finding a babysitter when the breaks come (they inevitably end in at least one tank crashing). Fortunately, I got smart and decided whenever I go home for any breaks, I just break down my 3 gallon, grab my favorite / most demanding corals and set it all up when I get home. It is a somewhat arduous process, but I think it's worth it

grabbitt

*Forgot to add: I have made buddies with a fair amount of the employees at my LFS now, too (ie, I hang around there too much and they most likely memorize my name from constantly swiping my credit card at the front counter), so I have one of them stop in and check everything out daily to make sure everything is running well. This has GREATLY reduced absence-induced casualties in my tanks.

matt2364

One of my roomates and I both have reef tanks. You should be fine as long as you are not in a dorm and do not plan on going home for the summer.

ci11337

I decided a while ago that i will downgrade and take my tank. My neighbor has 2 tens in his dorm.(FW though) I hope to live off campus, don't wanna move the tank every break. i also wanna go for my first 2 years locally so i can live at home, don't think you can always do this but i know people who have.
Hey WangoTango, what are you gonna do with your tank when you leave? if your just gonna trade everything in let me know and i'll probably buy some stuff. (i'll give you more for the stuff then Tom would.) I still have 2 years left before college. Actually, i think Tom mentioned that he had a tank in college. BTW congrats on getting into Penn State.

brettd

I had a 55 gal marine fish only tank when I was in college. I had it when I was living in the dorms too. They are a chick magnet! Not many things better than making out with a hot babe by tank light! Oh yes, the days of college life... Now what was the question?

vicarious

Originally Posted by BrettD
http:///forum/post/2495161
I had a 55 gal marine fish only tank when I was in college. I had it when I was living in the dorms too. They are a chick magnet! Not many things better than making out with a hot babe by tank light! Oh yes, the days of college life... Now what was the question?

Good stuff!

wangotango

Originally Posted by ci11337
http:///forum/post/2495125
Hey WangoTango, what are you gonna do with your tank when you leave? if your just gonna trade everything in let me know and i'll probably buy some stuff. (i'll give you more for the stuff then Tom would.) I still have 2 years left before college. Actually, i think Tom mentioned that he had a tank in college. BTW congrats on getting into Penn State.
Thanks. I'm still waiting to hear from Syracuse until I make my final decision, but it will probably be Penn for Architectural Engineering. Syracuse would be regular architecture (#3 in country).
I'd like to take a tank with me, but don't think I'd have the time to spend on it. I'll play with the tank at Penn instead, Janjay Joshi heads that.
I could probably trade some stuff, but my 55 will probably stay up and running while I'm away (hopefully).
Sorry for the sidetrack...
-Justin