Tank is GREEN!

tr1gger

My whole tank is covered in green. Glass sides, back and front, Substrate and all my LR.
I have..
90gal Tank
90lb's LS
45lb's LR
Tank has been up since late june and had no problem cycling. About 30 days ago i started adding LR piece by peice that was cured at my LFS for me and was transported home in buckets of saltwater (about a 6 minute drive)
Water Perams.
nitrIte 0.0
nitrAte 0.0
Ammonia 0.0
PH 7.9
Temp 79
Salintity 1.026 W/Refractometer

coral keeper

What's in the tank(live stock?). Do you have a sump/fuge? What kind of lights do you have over the tank and how long are they on? Ever how often do you do water changes?

m0nk

Could be a regular algae bloom, could be cyano. Is it slimey or like a blanket at all?

spanko

Algae lives on nutrients first and foremsot and lighting. that said it looks like you are light on the live rock. Normally we would suggest 1 - 1.5 lbs. per gallon of water. Then depending on your bio load you may want to add even more. So looks like you filtration capacity is lacking and you may be building up nutrients there. Also on lighting about 9 hours per day is around the norm, so if you are running longer you are feeding the alge too.
Increase your filtration. In concert with this get on an aggressive water change schedule to help to export nutrient from the tank. Run you skimmer if you have one wetter so that it is pulling more out.
Address your lighting schedule, in some cases if you do not have many light demanding coral you can run with the lights off for up to 3 days.
Remember nutrients, read fertilizer here, are the main culprit and long term must be controlled to be an algae bloom.
HTH and keep us posted on your progress. Some pictures are always welcome to help others see what you are going through.

coral keeper

IMO, if you don't have a fuge, get one and add some chaeto. If you don't have anything in the tank like fish, inverts, or coral turn off the lights because you don't need them on anyways.

spanko

CK you are correct sir.
However it is so hard for me to take you seriously now with that avatar staring at me.

tr1gger

Current stocklist
1 - V Lion
1 - Humu Humu Trigger
1 - Dog Face Puffer
1 - Blue Hippo Tang
1 - Frag (new as of wed. the 12th) of Frogspawn
This litteraly happened overnight. I woke up to my old lady saying "is your tank supposed to be cloudy and green?"

My lighting schedule is super long, never thought about it. im talking like 8am-11pm (please dont flame me) And im adding rock as i can afford it since is almost $10 a lb out here

gatorwpb

wow thats a looooong lighting schedule. Dont worry about flames, you just want to see your tank more

water changes are the first and most important step for you at this point.
but I dont see a clean up crew there. I would add 40-50 snails of assorted species that will help with the rocks, glass and sand. But can you even have snails with those fish?

Finally, are you overfeeding? uneaten food could be your source of nutrients.

ibew41

lights on to long you can get a timer from home depot and adj from there.what kind of lights do you have?

tr1gger

Over feeding is a def. no just due to the fact that i feed every other day if not every third day.
Water Changes are every sunday 15 gallons of 24hr pre mix RO/DI water and Instant Ocean
The trigger wont allow snails im pretty sure
I have a zilla timer on all my lights, ill just adhust them for a 9 hour schedule and grab a flashlight so i an see my stuff :p
Skimmer is a Seaclone Protein Skimmer 150
My current tank setup doesnt really allow me to have a sump. The way this funky stand is designed i cant put one anywhere. I guess you would have to see a pic to understand.
Lighting as Follows
Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k : 2 x 65 watt
Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm : 2 x 65 watt
Lunar Light Moon White : 2
Dimensions : 48.25" x 7.25" x 2.5"
Total Watts : 260 watt

ibew41

run your lights for 4 hrs for a few days then do a water change, and run carbon but look for a new skimmer

ibew41

ck deltec and octopus try the lights on less first and see what kind of clean up crew you can have with your fish

tr1gger

Yeh i shut my lights off when i left home today and will leave them off till i get up tommorow and see how it looks. In the meantime im going to the LFS and buying probably another 20 lbs of LR and see what i can do for a CUC and see if they will survive with my trigger