Tank Leaking/Switch To New

jeff s

This past weekend I notices my 15 month old Oceanic tank started a very slow leak. I spoke to the dealer who I purchased it from and they are ordering a new one for replacement under warranty. That is the good news. The bad news is the dealer is 2.5 hours away from me and I have to return the defective tank when I pick up the new tank. Once the tank is in I am going to remove the livestock and live rock and place them in rubbermaid containers with the exisiting tank water/heaters/ and a powerhead. The questions I have is with the deep sand bed. I believe I will remove the top one inch of the existing dsb and use that for the top layer of the new dsb. The bottom 3 to 4" I am planning on using new southdown. Is this the appropriate way to go about the tank switch?
Thanks

dreeves

Did you ask the dealer about setting a deposit so you can bring the new tank home, swap out and then take the old one back?

jeff s

Yes, but then they could only give me store credit for the returning of the leaking tank. At least this way it will all be done with in one day.
Thanks