Tank Level?

casper1875

I'm testing my tank to see if it has any leaks. After 1 year and 3 months I'm almost ready to set it up. I bought it used and wanted to see if it leaks before we start the plumbing.
First question: I know it needs to be level, but I only seem to be able to get it between the two center thick black lines on the level. There are two black lines, a thin line then a thick black line on each side of the bubble on the level. Some places the bubble is dead center, some the bubble is closer to the left thick black line, some closer to the right thick black line, but still between the two thick center black lines. Will that be close enough?
It's a 180 gallon All Glass reef ready.

casper1875

Thank you. I don't think I was this worried when I set up the 75 gallon. We're working on the plumbing. My current tank does not have a sump and fuge. Plumbing is all new to me.

i<3reefs

You would likely want to place a styrofoam sheet under your aquarium, which will help maintain the integrity of your tank's seals. You never know if your stand is built perfectly or not.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by I<3Reefs
http:///forum/post/3088736
You would likely want to place a styrofoam sheet under your aquarium, which will help maintain the integrity of your tank's seals. You never know if your stand is built perfectly or not.
This is an excellent suggestion. I've done this with all my tanks for years. With time, the tank will actually be more level than when you started; thanks to the styrofoam. My tanks read as perfectly level as my Wal-Mart level will read; they didn't when I set them up.

casper1875

I have it sitting on a rubber/spongy type mat. I checked it as soon as I got home and no leaks so far. I got goosebumps just adding the tap water. I will drain it in a day or so and then I hope to start working on the plumbing. By next weekend I want to have the ro/di unit set up.

cranberry

I use styro sheets as well.
But if you don't have the rock in there yet, don't even bother to try and fine tune it if your stand is on carpet. I always level them, add the rock and then have to level all over again. Now I do major adjustment, add the rock and make the finer adjustments like what you speak of.

casper1875

Right now it's just a test to see if it leaks. I still don't have the plumbing worked out yet. It's sitting on concrete. I had to set it up in the basement.

king_neptune

I was under the impression foam was for acrylic tanks. don't get me wrong, it makes sense to have it for glass too. Do you buy this stuff at lowes?

casper1875

This was in the garage. I don't know what they use it for. I just thought it would be nice to put on the stand to act as a soft buffer.