Tank lid fogging up

dmitry

So, why would the lid of my tank fog up? I made my own hood out of acrylic and ever since I put it on (this morning) it fogs up! Is the tank producing so much eat that it fogs up? The water is, for some reason, warmer than the room the tank is in, but still! Any thoughts? Could the power-heads (Penguin) be creating so much heat?? :notsure:

ziggy002

its just that the temp in the tank and the temp outside the tank is different...................shouldnt be a problem

maeistero

Originally posted by Dmitry
So, why would the lid of my tank fog up? I made my own hood out of acrylic and ever since I put it on (this morning) it fogs up! Is the tank producing so much eat that it fogs up? The water is, for some reason, warmer than the room the tank is in, but still! Any thoughts? Could the power-heads (Penguin) be creating so much heat?? :notsure:

ok, i'll tackle this first. in my experience with fogging lids it was because the tank was too hot and i had it sealed up to prevent escapees. it needs ventilation if you are going to keep it at a higher temperature. i keep mine at room temp now, a bit low for most normal tanks. (room temp a bit high for most people:D )
i don't believe the powerheads would be creating that much heat unless they're about to break down. feel them and that should tell you instantly. if they're hot ditch 'em. all of mine aren't even warm ever.
btw, any pics available on your custom lid?

maeistero

Originally posted by ZIGGY002
its just that the temp in the tank and the temp outside the tank is different...................shouldnt be a problem

actually it is a problem because it blocks light to the tank.

ziggy002

i new i shoulnt have answered that..............with my limited exprence............( think thats how you spell that ):notsure:

T

tizzo

Whew!! Your both right but there is an alternative reason for this. Could be that the tank is to warm, or that the ambient air is to cold. What's your ac set at?? If your house is like 68 degrees and your tank is 82 then yeah it's gonna fog up.
As far as blocking lighting...
Do you even have lighting?? Cause lights would warm up the air above the tank and prevent that fog/condensation...
But even more important... why do you even have the tank covered??

maeistero

true you tizzo. i keep my ac at 80 so my tank usually rests a couple degrees lower. low for most people's opinion here. i keep my tank covered b/c i'm used to fish jumping from my f/w tanks. does that not happen in s/w?

T

tizzo

Tanks are supposed to be covered if you have fish that are notorious jumpers like firefish and some others I can't think of right now. Or if you have eels or octopi, etc.. But if you don't, there is no reason to cover it.
A lot of people use a "canopy" but it's main purpose is to have a place for the lights.

dmitry

Thanks to all for the answers!
My room temperature is about 70. The tank is at 78. I do have a light strip and need the hood to protect the lights from the water. I opened the lid, though some fogginess stayed on the "light" half. And the fogginess returned to the lid when I closed it. I'll try to take a pic of my home-made hood (not the most professional job 'cause I ain't very handy! :joy:)

monalisa

I am SO glad I came upon this thread. I'm not having a problem with a fogging lid, but the problem I have is that my equipment cut outs on my light hood was not fitting properly with my canopy. I've been trying to come up with something to put over the tank to keep jumpers in the tank. If I don't necessarily need the hood, well shoot, problem solved.

Please list...notorious jumpers...is that possible. I only have a 37 gal., so I'm not planning on anything huge.
As always...thank you!!

T

tizzo

Originally posted by MonaLisa
Please list...notorious jumpers...is that possible. I only have a 37 gal., so I'm not planning on anything huge.

The huge ones aren't the jumpers. Well, cept the killer whale. Maybe those dolphins, but you know what I mean!!
Notorious jumpers are firefish. I would recomend an eggcrate cover if you keep any fish in the dartfish family.
Sand difting gobies are said to be jumpers, but not notorious for it.
That's all I can think of right now, but I hope more people add to the "list" cause that's a good question.

monalisa

I've not seen any of those egg crate thingys. What do they look like? Do they just fit over the top of the tank?
Thanks...:D

T

tizzo

Well, for me anyway, evaporation is a good thing. It disperses heat, gives me an opportunity to replenish my calcium alk levels by topping off with kalk, provides fresh air to the tank, and I don't have the nuisence of having to clean that glass a million times a year. :)