Tank maintenence

rot_stupid

I've had my tank for about 1 1/2 years now. When I bought my tank and fuge, the guy at my lfs said I will have to add something (I think it was some kind of moss, but not sure) at 1 1/2 years. I have since learned to take his advise with a few grains of salt, so does anyone know if I need to add anything to keep my fuge running smooth?

mcbdz

What are you running in there. Some people reseed their sand or add new mudd to keep the bio filter diverse?
May need to add macro like mentioned above due to live rock and other filterations alredy absorbered their max of phosphates, and other things you don't want to increase too much?
Maybe ask him to explain what it was he said.

reefnut

Originally Posted by rot_stupid
I have since learned to take his advise with a few grains of salt
as with all other advise you receive...

What I mean is there are many ways to do things and many opinions on what the best way is. Find what works for you and stay with it!!
With the macro algae. A lot of people put macro algae in their refuge (myself included). You could have added it 1 1/2 years ago if you wanted to and you could add some now if you want.

rot_stupid

Yeah, we had Caulerpa, we just changed over to cheato. I asked him again, and he said to mix some peat moss into my mudbed of the fuge. Anyone ever heard of this?