tank not clear

s121n85

I have a 100 gal. fish only tank. The tank has been up for approximately 3 years. The only recent additions are some snails. I also have a blue tang, foxface, tomato clown and an angel. The problem I am having is that in the last 2 months the tank has become very hazy. I can see particles that look like sand floating in the water. I have about 50+ pounds of live rock, 3 550 powerheads, an emporor and a penguin filter. I did a 40% water change and it has not helped. I also changed the filters and added carbon. It cleared up some but not a great deal. One person at my local pet store said I need a protein skimmer, but another said that since I have had the tank so long without one that isn't it. I have also tested all the nitrites and such and everything is in the normal range. Can you help?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I have had this happen to me too. Perhap try a water clarifying product you should be able to pick up at your local shop.

kris

The lack of a skimmer probably wasn't the cause but it could be the answer. Overfeeding perhaps?? With such little filtration it wouldn't take much to cause cloudiness. I personnaly would do the skimmer.