tank over run!

widowmaker

I had 2 big nasty crabs that killed off nearly all of my 240gal cleaner crew. over 100 blue legs, 3 serpent stars and over 100 snails. i have gotten rid of the crabs, but now i have this stuff all over. did a 50% water change, and all the stats of the tank check out at normal. i understand that i need to re-populate the tank with a new crew, but is there any fish or chemical medicine that will help clear up the tank until i get them in? please see attached and thanks in advance.

reefreak29

well what i would do at this point is syphon out as much as i could , limit feeding and light and add a cleanup crew asap. lmb , sea hares and turbo snails may be your best bet

ninjamini

Wow two crabs did all that??? Are you shure they did not have help?
Cut the lights to a few 3-4 hours a day. go get some mexican snails, turbos and emerald crabs. Pull off what you can by hand. Of that s the end of a cycle I had worse. They will get through it.
I enjoyed watching them mow thru it. It took 2 passes. First cut it to size and second bare to the rock. You could see the path that the snails took. It was cool.

mushroomss

not to be mean but when you let your tank get to that point...........your in the wrong hobby.Syphon out all you can and do 20-30 percent water changes twice a week

jonthefishguy

Perfect example of someone that should not be in this hobby. Crabs didnt do this...neglect did. In NO way does that just happen over night or even in 2 nights.

weberian

How much water movement do you have in that tank? It doesn't look like you have any to me. Nice images btw.
What I've been up to: I just got 2 local crabs and they're in a twenty gallon with only a Skilter 250. I've got a 1200 Maxijet in there that I plug in for 5 seconds at a time whenever I visit the tank. One three inch green crab and one 2 inch rock crab.

coolguy818

Originally Posted by Weberian
How much water movement do you have in that tank? It doesn't look like you have any to me. Nice images btw.
What I've been up to: I just got 2 local crabs and they're in a twenty gallon with only a Skilter 250. I've got a 1200 Maxijet in there that I plug in for 5 seconds at a time whenever I visit the tank. One three inch green crab and one 2 inch rock crab.
That is Hilarious.......

grumpygils

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
Perfect example of someone that should not be in this hobby. Crabs didnt do this...neglect did. In NO way does that just happen over night or even in 2 nights.
That's pretty cold!

drewissett

Originally Posted by grumpygils
That's pretty cold!
I agree,
and FYI this stuff builds up really fast... mine got that bad over a weekend while I was away...
It looks like red slime algae. Best thing is to just to scrape it off, and if it keeps coming back then you can get a treatment for it.
Hope this helps!

meleerock

If its truthful we have some great members on the board to get you back to the safe zone. If it is neglect, I hope this post is a turn around in the care of the tank and a new positive outlook on the hobby. Regardless its a sad sight.

ninjamini

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Jeeze so he made a boo-boo. Its not like he put 4 tangs and 4 sand sifting stars in a 20 gal.

J

jamparty

it's still not as bad as that one post with the client who let his tank go to holy hell and wanted to put clowns in a freshwater tank...

jonthefishguy

Originally Posted by JamParty
it's still not as bad as that one post with the client who let his tank go to holy hell and wanted to put clowns in a freshwater tank...

you got that right, I was so close to jumping over his couch and kicking his face in.

J

jamparty

you got that right, I was so close to jumping over his couch and kicking his face in.
I'll send you $5.00 paypal to go to his house and do it. (i require video proof for reward redemption)

jonthefishguy

Originally Posted by JamParty
I'll send you $5.00 paypal to go to his house and do it. (i require video proof for reward redemption)
naw, pay the price for my bail and i will do it....j/k

J

jamparty

naw, pay the price for my bail and i will do it....j/k

hahaha! Right on!