tank overflow mod...will it work?

gmwilk

just wanted to know if anyone has attempted this or not....i was researching a bigger thank bla bla bla and i found one that doesnt have an overflow or is drilled....so my question is has anyone cut slits in the back or drilled holes in the back section of the aquarium and siliconed up an overflow on the back so the inside of the tank would look "clean" and no hanging overflow inside the tank just water overflowing through the slits and behind the tank to the overflow and then to a sump of course i had planned so if power went out it wouldnt flood etc...it was a 180 gallon tank and i was thinking on doing two small overflows one on each coner....anyone have any input? think it would weaken the strucal intergraty of the glass too much? thanks!

reefforbrains

Sounds like a very dangerous proposition. I wouldnt do it unless the tank in question was purpose built with a double backwall so the flex doesnt push on the back panel where it is at its weakest.

travis89

Personally I would just dril it or have it drilled. I think it would weaken it too much with the slits.