Tank Overflow Stopped Up

jr1053

Hi Folks! Not sure if this ever came up here before. I've been using a fine sand substrate in my FO tank. The ******** area between both overflow glass plates is now full of my substrate so that the only water which enters the overflow cascades off the top of the overflow box. The bottom of the overflow is all stopped up with sand and is incapable of filtering any water from the bottom of my tank. I have had a plastic grill in place on the bottom of the overflow but the sand is so fine that it goes right through it along with the saltwater and continues to accumulate between the two glass panes.Is there anyway for this sand to be cleared from between the two overflow glass plates other than draining the tank? Has anyone figured out a way to keep their substrate from cloging the bottom of the overflow's intake?? Thanks again for all suggestions!!
John

squidd

Actually skimming off the surface is fine, if you have plenty of circulation (flow) in the lower regions of the tank to keep deitrus suspended...
However if you want to "clear" the area with out draining the tank, try a small power head with a thin line/hose and "blow" the sand out and away from the area and from between the glass panels...
Water flow from a small powerhead will move a lot of sand..