TANK PROBLEM

andy

I have a 75 gallon fish only tank. I had been running the tank for a couple years on a large fluval canister filter. I decided that a wet dry system would be the way to go. So i bought my wet dry sytem took it home and (at the advice of the store personel)took the media out of my canister put it in a mesh sack laid it on top of the new bio balls in the wet dry and fired up the new filter. Over the next couple weeks I noticed a few fish suddenly dieing. I tested the water and everthing checked out fine other than the ammonia. The ammonia is at 1.0 or in the green in the test vial. Is it safe to assume the tank is going through a cycle again. I turned off the skimmer and UV. Should I just wait it out at this point? How come their is no Nitrites or Nitrates? When should I do a water change again
Please help!!!!!
Andy

bobsingh1

It looks like reclycle issue. Your ammonia shouldn't go up at all and 1.0 is just too high. Just as a precaution, after adding a new filter, you should test your water regularly. Get a ammonia detoxifier from your IFS. You will see an increase in nitrites and nitrates later so be perpared for that. Have RO/DI water ready at hand to do frequent water changes to keep this in check.

clayton

You would have been fine if you had left your canister running and then run the wet/dry alongside for a month.
One type of bacteria convert ammonia into nitrite and another type convert nitrite into nitrate. You have killed too many of your bacteria. You will get a nitite rise once the ammonia has been converted.
Give your LFS owner a slap!!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You basically did in your whole biological filtration when you shut down the canister [since that is the only filter you had running]. In effect, you started over. Agree with Clayton! Do frequent water changes [at least weekly] til you get zero ammonia and nitrites. [What was the LFS thinking????!!!]

[This message has been edited by beth (edited 06-11-2000).]

andy

Beth and Clayton
I appreciate the info, my only question is- Would it be better not to do water changes until the ammonia drops therfore allowing enogh time for the tank to cycle? I have also been adding Bio boost as well as not running my skimmer and uv
andy