tank raised false percs

donald

So I've had my pair of tank raised false percs for about three months and my GBTA for two months and no joy, no hosting. So today I printed out a pic of two clowns hosting a bta and taped it on the tank where they hang out. Their reaction was immediate, they swam away from the pic and turned and watched it. They moved about a foot away and won't take there eyes off it. well at least I got there attention. I also got to thinking If you could play a video of clowns hosting I bet they would host faster, after all most people belive that they learn from seeing other clowns do it in the wild. Alas I don't have a little tv screen or video to try it. If someone out there does mabey they could do this experiment for me. Thanks

donald

I actualy downloaded a video from utube of a pair of clown hosting and played it for my clowns. They started going crazy, touching and bumping eachother and one actualy swam halfways twards the screen. IDK, I'm going to keep doing it hopefully it will spark their natural behavior.

clintjj

When I move my baby clowns to their grow out tank I have an anemone in the tank they all most all try to host the anemone instantly. What started me doing this was a freind gave me an anemone and I stuck it in there just to see the reaction of the babys. They were trying to host on the way to the bottom of the tank. Now for the stuff that REALLY matters. My grow out tank is fed water from my sump. The return water goes through an amonia spong before going in my sump again. Helps keep the amn. out and not spike. My large tank is 200 wwith a 90 gallon sump and 398 lbs. of live rock. I rarely grow out more than 50 at a time ( to hard to sell)

bjoe23

Originally Posted by donald
So I've had my pair of tank raised false percs for about three months and my GBTA for two months and no joy, no hosting. So today I printed out a pic of two clowns hosting a bta and taped it on the tank where they hang out. Their reaction was immediate, they swam away from the pic and turned and watched it. They moved about a foot away and won't take there eyes off it. well at least I got there attention. I also got to thinking If you could play a video of clowns hosting I bet they would host faster, after all most people belive that they learn from seeing other clowns do it in the wild. Alas I don't have a little tv screen or video to try it. If someone out there does mabey they could do this experiment for me. Thanks

perfectdark

All kidding aside I will be very suprised if they host. I have found that on rare occasions tank raised false percs will host anyting. It just seems like that instinct has been supressed in them. Not saying that all tank raised false percs dont. Im just saying your chances of them hosting decrease a lot because they are tank raised. I have had 6 tank raised and got nothing, I had 1 wild caught and in 30 seconds it hosted.