Tank safe acrylic adhesive?

dsmattice

I'm gonna be building a 100gal tank out of a bunch of 3/8" Lexan that I got for free. I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions for the best tank safe adhesive. I'm sure someone's done it on here.

mr . salty

Large tanks like that are usually made out of GLASS.I doubt if even 3/8 thick lexan can withstand the pressure that 100 gallons of water will be putting on it.Even the 5/8" glass, my 130 bows out at the middle about 1'4".That is why acrylic tanks are made with NO seams.That much pressure,plus the added flexability of acrylic(lexan)will surly pop at the seams...I doubt if there is a glue anywhere that would work...

epicentyr

you are not going to want an adhesive bond you will need a solvent weld. i use IPS Weld-On #16 it has a medium body so it is not runny. As fas as your Lexan do not go over 16" deep for 3/8 and make sure the top rim is just as sturdy as the base. try to copy an already existing design. try ***********also of the lexan does not say on the backing paper that it is "cell cast" i think that you are stuck with a bunch of sump deviders because extruded acrylic will absorb water over time causing seams to fail.
Links to other sites that sell things related to fish keeping is against the rules when you signed onto the BB.. please take this as a jesture to reread the rules on this subject...rlv695

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: RLV695 ]