tank size debate

brandon7491

ok guys i was thinking today ( random fish btw) n e ways a 20 gallon long is 36x12x12. in order to minimumly keep a flame angel it reccomends a 30gallon or higher. well a 30 gallon is 36'' long. its length that we want for more swimming room. so what is the problem with keeping a flame in a 20gallon?

mcbdz

Very active fish. I would think a 50gal would be more like what it would need to be happy.

pco1988

I have had my rusty angel in my 30gal for over a year now. I only have 5 fish that being the big one and he is fat and healthy.

lesleybird

Originally Posted by brandon7491
ok guys i was thinking today ( random fish btw) n e ways a 20 gallon long is 36x12x12. in order to minimumly keep a flame angel it reccomends a 30gallon or higher. well a 30 gallon is 36'' long. its length that we want for more swimming room. so what is the problem with keeping a flame in a 20gallon?
Don't you want the fish to be happy? You could cram it into a 20 gallon but you are just being stingy with the fish. If you want to do this hobby then do it right, not just barely big enough for the fish to exist. You could live in a home that was 10 foot by 10 foot and survive too, but you would be very miserable. Don't you want your fish to be happy? Or mearly keep them unhappy in a tiny tank because you won't get a tank big enough for the species you choose to thrive. Please be a responsible fish owner and get a tank big enough for what you want to keep in it. Sorry, but it really makes me upset when people abuse the fish by cramping or over crowding. Lesley

tang4me

It would most likely be stressed in a 20 gallon. I think you would regret it. I've never had success with a flame in anything under a 44 gallon. I know people have had them thrive in 29 gallon tanks though.
How about a pygmy angel? You can usually find them very small at LFS. If you want an angel I think that would be your best bet.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by TANG4me
It would most likely be stressed in a 20 gallon. I think you would regret it. I've never had success with a flame in anything under a 44 gallon. I know people have had them thrive in 29 gallon tanks though.
How about a pygmy angel? You can usually find them very small at LFS. If you want an angel I think that would be your best bet.
Hmmmmm
Mc

crimzy

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
Yup, I could keep a dog in a closet its entire life. It would live. Would it be right?
Oh man... the closet metaphor came out already.

Just out of curiosity, who ever suggested that length is the only relevant measurement in tank size? Length x Width = Surface Area... this is the basic amount of swimming room. Commonly referred to as "footprint".

sepulatian

Flames are one of the more active dwarf angels but are listed with the same requirements as others. You could keep a coral beauty or a rusty in there just fine as long as you don't have too many other fish. Flames are more active and territorial though. I would not recommend a flame for that sized tank. They swim up, down, and all around.

brandon7491

yea ima not put one in. so far in the tank i have 2 chromis, 1 fire fish that i never see cuz hes shy nd thats it with fish. i did have my longnose hawk fish for about 7mths until it decieded to jump out. i am going to put in a 6 line,watchman,flame hawk or long nose hawk. i still am really pissed about the longnose though but o well

sepulatian

yea ima not put one in. so far in the tank i have 2 chromis, 1 fire fish that i never see cuz hes shy nd thats it with fish. i did have my longnose hawk fish for about 7mths until it decieded to jump out. i am going to put in a 6 line,watchman,flame hawk or long nose hawk. i still am really pissed about the longnose though but o well
Have you put a top on the tank yet? Pick up some eggcrate from Lowes or Home Depot. That works to keep fish in. Are you sure the firefish is in there? The chromis must be bullys or he would be out. Firefish are not that shy. The wrassie will jump without a top. Flame hawks are very cool but can be nippy, need their space, and will most likely jump without a barrier. Go for another longnose or a falco. Watchmans are always cool, but add him before whatever hawk you get

well ur wrong sir a 20gallon long is 36inches nd yes iam a responsible fish owner. thxs for ur replys
dude i have a 20L and i'm positive its a 20L cuz it still has the sticker on the bottom that says 20L. and its 30"x12"x12" i just measured. you might have a bigger tank than you think.

brandon7491

the fire fish is still in there i saw him today poking outfrom a rock. ur right i dont no what i was thinking its 30" my mistake. yea probably another longnose hawk and maybe 2 percs with a rbta ( what a risk) idk i like corals more than fish so i might just get more coral.