Tank Temperature

kb

I have a 150 gallon tank and my lights are on from 9:30 am to 11:00 pm and my tank stays at aroung 82 all day and in the morning before the lights go on my tank is at 80 degrees. I have the heaters turned down to 73-75 degrees so I don't understand why the temperature isn't coming down? Is 82 degrees too high and is the two degree difference each day too much?

porkypuffer

with your lights on for 13.5 hours, you my have an algae problem. i use a timer for my lights and set them to stay on for 10 hours.
your water temp. could be rising depending on the type of light bulds you have, also the room temp. during the day. it's best to maintain a constant temp.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Obviously you don't need your heaters because the tank is getting hotter than what the heaters provide! It is probably the lighting. You didn't say what type of lights you use. It would be good if you could get your temp down to around 80 and keep it there. Perhaps adding more circulation within the tank would help. And, of course, if you have the bucks, you can get a heater/chiller.