tank tinting

N

nihoa

anyone opt to tint the back of their tank rather than paint it a solid black? not to offend but i find the solid black background a bit in your face on smaller tanks and hoped maybe the tinting would give it a softer look while achieving mostly the same goal. pics?

novahobbies

Never thought of that....it's a very good idea! You're talking about the self-adhesive stick on car tinting, yes? Good tinkin...gonna have to try this on my 5.5.

bla403

i bought a piece of black plexi that I used to have behind the tank as a solid black background but I recently removed it. I like the see through look better since it gives the tank a more 3d look. Its 55 gall 36" that I have caddy cornered in a white walled room. I was able to hide all the cables in the back by positioning them behind rocks or behind my black overflow.

T

tiredoldman

If you use mirror tint you hide all of the life support equipment and double the size and number of fish. Also if you have an aggressive fish in the tank it will spend more time fighting its "rival" than fish in the tank sometimes.

adurost

I spray painted the back of my tank with alternate layers of Reef Blue and Black paint. Because of the overlapping spray patterns, the color is not "flat".

cajonez

Originally Posted by Tiredoldman
http:///forum/post/3106509
If you use mirror tint you hide all of the life support equipment and double the size and number of fish. Also if you have an aggressive fish in the tank it will spend more time fighting its "rival" than fish in the tank sometimes.
I was thinking about this...
If one were to wrap 3 sides with the mirror tint would that decrease the wattage needed for lighting?

xlr8

I have been toying with the idea of using contact paper on the back of my tank. It can be found in all colors and even some nice designs
. You would just have to be patient enough putting it on as not to get bubbles underneath it.

adurost

Originally Posted by xlr8
http:///forum/post/3115347
I have been toying with the idea of using contact paper on the back of my tank. It can be found in all colors and even some nice designs
. You would just have to be patient enough putting it on as not to get bubbles underneath it.
The sticky side is on the back, so in order to see the design you would have to put it on the INSIDE of the tank. I don't think that it is designed for underwater usage, especially SW.

xlr8

yes, you are right about the design part. What about the color? I really haven't looked to closly at contact paper so is black, black on both sides? Blue on both sides ect?