Tank used for Reptile

jen4sal

Hello,
We are exciting to finally start looking into our very Salt Water Tank.
We have a 75 Gallon Tank that was used for a Bearded Dragon (Reptile). My Husbands doesn't think it can ever be used for fish.....even though it's been cleaned out. Is this true? Can we use a tank that previously housed a reptile? Or do we need to buy a new tank?
Thanks!

scopus tang

Originally Posted by jen4sal
http:///forum/post/2734454
Hello,
We are exciting to finally start looking into our very Salt Water Tank.
We have a 75 Gallon Tank that was used for a Bearded Dragon (Reptile). My Husbands doesn't think it can ever be used for fish.....even though it's been cleaned out. Is this true? Can we use a tank that previously housed a reptile for? Or do we need to buy a new tank?
Thanks!
All I've heard says no, you cannot use a tank that previously housed a reptile. Something to do with something in their urine remaining in the tank even after you clean it, which will kill fish. Can't say for sure if that is true or not, as I've simply never tried to use one that housed a reptile. Better safe than sorry, especially with saltwater.

m0nk

I think it's salmonella.... it's something in their saliva and skin, etc, etc. This stays in the tank and kills either the fish themselves or the beneficial bacteria that helps keep the tank in balance (ie: cycled). So, yes, you'll need to buy a new tank.

forddna

Works fine for freshwater fish. I've been using a 20L reptile tank for months as a QT for my fw planted tank.
I wouldn't use a "reptile tank" (made for reptiles) any larger than that, though. The glass is thinner than one made for fish.
No idea about saltwater use, though.

oceansidefish

I would also say its more of a crapshoot. If you want to try I would do this, although I could not gaurantee the success.
Fill the all the way to the top of the tank with RO water (as much as it will hold). Put in about 5 gallons of bleach (That will almost get you to a 1/10 ratio which will kill about everything. Let that soak for a week. Remove bleach water and rinse thoroghly. Let it sit in the sun for another week. Rinse again with RO and sit in the sun for another couple of days.
If nothing lives let us know. It would be an interesting experiment.
BUT if I were you I would find a used tank online.

ca161406

lol lizards fall in our koi pond all the time but just turn into a snack

but yeah new 75s arnt that much anyways especially if you catch a sale ;)

alix2.0

im sure if you just bleach the tank itll probably kill any salmonella left on it.
but yeah if its a reptile only tank (not made for fish) id be worried about a seam leaking with all that water & rock pressure.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by m0nk
http:///forum/post/2734477
I think it's salmonella.... it's something in their saliva and skin, etc, etc. This stays in the tank and kills either the fish themselves or the beneficial bacteria that helps keep the tank in balance (ie: cycled). So, yes, you'll need to buy a new tank.
bearded dragons dont harbor salmonella.

reefkprz

if it is a fish tank used for a reptile then your fine bleach it, and reseal it as the caulking has been dry for a long time and is likley to fail. A 1 to 25 ratio of bleach to water is plenty. then rinse it well and let it air dry, the chlorine will evaporate, you can rinse it with ro water with dechlorinator in it if you wish.
but if its a reptile tank you cannot use it for fish the glass is too weak.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2734465
All I've heard says no, you cannot use a tank that previously housed a reptile. Something to do with something in their urine remaining in the tank even after you clean it, which will kill fish. Can't say for sure if that is true or not, as I've simply never tried to use one that housed a reptile. Better safe than sorry, especially with saltwater.
urban myth. no worries from that.

metweezer

I think once again 'Z' has nailed it. I believe it is the thickness of the glass not urine that prohibits it being used as a fish tank. With water weighing roughly 8 lbs. a gallon you are talking about 600 lbs. of just water weight. Not to mention LR & LS. I wouldn't chance it. You could have a big mess on your hands.

tr1gger

Originally Posted by metweezer
http:///forum/post/2734706
I think once again 'Z' has nailed it. I believe it is the thickness of the glass not urine that prohibits it being used as a fish tank. With water weighing roughly 8 lbs. a gallon you are talking about 600 lbs. of just water weight. Not to mention LR & LS. I wouldn't chance it. You could have a big mess on your hands.
Would it if in example a 100 gallon tank with water weighing 800 lbs. Isn't that distributed over 5 panes of glass? So in theory the weight is distributed to 160 lbs per pane of glass?

hmmm... ive never heard this. the 55g im planning on turning into my sump was used to house a ball python for like 3 years. it was a fishtank before that though. i planned on doing like 50 gallons of ro/di and 5 gallons of distilled vinegar or something of the sort. put in a few modded maxijets 1200s and let it soak for a week or so. i hope it works out well... ???

reefkprz

Originally Posted by tr1gger
http:///forum/post/2734714
Would it if in example a 100 gallon tank with water weighing 800 lbs. Isn't that distributed over 5 panes of glass? So in theory the weight is distributed to 160 lbs per pane of glass?
no all 830lbs are sitting on the bottom, at the bottom of the side panes you have 830pounds pushing equally on all panes. its not a divisable factor.
you can divide 830 pounds by the square inch of each pane and find how many pounds per square inch you have per pane but you cannot divide the total weight by the number of panes and get less weight on the glass.

kevin mcrae

As someone who has kept lizards for over 8 years you can use the tank.
Lizards do not urinate so you will have no issues with that apparent "saying".
The only problem you should look at is to see if the silicon as weakened. If so, apply some more. :)

rotarygeek

believe me when i say go buy a new tank. i filled a terrerium up with water and it exploded and almost severed two of my fingers. if you do a search for a thread called "this is why you dont fill a terrerium with water" you will see the pictures of how badly i cut them. severed the tendons, nerves and arteries in both fingers. took 4 hours of surgery to put them back together, and 5 months later im still not back to 100 percent. i dont have feeling too much in them and cant bend them all the way. so please save yourself a trip to the hospital and get a new tank.

reefkprz

correct.
a reptile tank/terrarium is going to fail if you fill it with water. just like rotary geeks story a cataclysmic failure WILL occurr if you fill a terrarium with water.
the "reptile residue" theory is pure nonesensical whimsy, that gets bandied around like many common urban myths.