Tanks

ldes

Hi All,
So begins my Saltwater Aquarium adventure. I am new to the hobby and excited about getting into it.
I have been looking all around on the web gathering information and ideas and wanted to see what you veterans have to say about a few things.
First of all, I am planning to get a 100 gallon tank and I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on types ( Acrylic, Glass, pros/cons ??? ) and brands if they even matter. Possibly even some suggestions on good websites or actual stores that sell them.
I am sure this thread will grow with time as I come up with new questions, so thanks in advance for any advice you guys are willing to give.
Leon

jjlittle

Glass (PROS) cost , less scratches (CONS) Heavy , silicone deteriates
Acrylic (PRos) Light wieght, Clearer look if you can keep it from gettign to many scratches
Last longer then glass.(CONS) cost more expensive, Spider stress crackes, Scratches real easily,
I prefer glass for I dont like srcatches and dont want to be so careful to to get them.

maeistero

acrylic can get you some cool smooth curves, but the scratches are hard to avoid. i will continue to buy glass until that issue is resolved. glass is so much cheaper, and i drop rocks against the glass a lot when a fish nips me unexpectedly.

also notice that you can edit your previous posts rather than clogging up the board with the same post. if noone answers then just reply to yourself with a "bump" for the people that may not have seen it earlier. just an fyi.

ldes

Thanks for those types. The second post was an accident. I will be more careful next time.
Leon

daytonaree

buy a tank that has starfire glass for the veiwing area costs more but its clearer that than a plastic tank and when you scratch plastic you can't get the scratch to come out it will destort the viewing area. I had a 280 gallon acrylic it was not easy to fix the scratches.