Tap water filter?

stryder

I was wondering if I need a tap water filter, I live out in the country so we get water from our well, it is softened but the salt is filtered down to 1um. Thanks!
Stryder:)

broomer5

I would consider getting an RO or RO/DI water unit for your wellwater.
The water softener is designed to remove calcium and magnesium, and replace these ions with sodium.
When the calcium and magnesium is gone, the water is no longer considered "hard" water. It is now soft water.
But ... this process of softening the water does very little if anything to remove other potentially harmful things that may be in the well water.
Softwater is great for washing, bathing and keeping our plumbing pipes from scaling up inside .... but not the greatest for marine tankwater.
I'd get an RO or RO/DI unit for sure.

ocellaris_keeper

Do not use the Tap Water filter - they don;t work. Instead go on ---- and purchase an RO/DI filter for between $89.00 and $200.00 depending on your water filtration needs.

spencka

Ocellaris, exactly what do you mean by depneding on your needs? Other than for the tank, what other reason would you have for purchasing a RO Filter? I assume it would help one's water taste as well?
I just saw a undersink 5 stage RO System in a Lowe's flyer, in our local paper. Would that be a decent deal? All I might need one for (as far as I know) would be an aquaurium, which I have yet to purchase BTW!
Anyway, I saw the discussion, and thought I'd ask!
Thanks,
Steve

squidd

I bought a 10gpd GE RO sink unit from Home Depot...
I figured I wasn't going to bath in it, just coffee, topoff, Kalkwater,and occasional WC...
For the most part I only use two or three gallons a day and "IF" I think ahead I can gather ten or twenty gallons for a WC over two or three days.
I up graded to a four gallon storage/pressure tank from the two gal.it came with.
However, I tend to not plan ahead :rolleyes: two or three days ahead of WC day and some times think a 30 or 60gpd membrane will be my next upgrade.:D
You may want to look into a quicker/more gpd unit up front, you will find yourself using more than you may first think.
:cool:

michaeltx

I am on a well here in w Texas and beleive me it helps on a lot of different things. there are a lot of things in a well that is determined by outside influences runoff etcc. so the water quality can change quickly and it can be for the worse. my ro unit is nasty when I change the filters to a point that within a couple of months you cant see the filter anymore. the softener will help take some of this out but it leaves a lot of stuff behind in it.
IMO get a ro unit if you have a ecowater or culigan you can rent one for a month or so and see the difference in drinking and cooking it really makes.
Mike

beaslbob

Originally posted by Stryder
I was wondering if I need a tap water filter, I live out in the country so we get water from our well, it is softened but the salt is filtered down to 1um. Thanks!
Stryder:)

Short answer is no. If you water is fit for human consumption, then it will work just fine in any saltwater aquarium.

temple2101

Hey guys, I'm new here but have already learned sooooo much. I just purchased an ro/di unit last night on ----. Do a search on ---- for ro/di and you will come up with a few different ones. The one I bought was $120 shipped and is a 6 stage unit. Email me if you want the details for it. I haven't gotten it yet or used it, but from EVERYTHING I have read it is essential for your tank.

michaeltx

I strongly disagree bob.
not that I dont disgree with your tap water idea anyway :D
but with well water its even more of a risk than tap water. my well tests for nitrats and phosphates in it along with several heavy metals so its not a good idea to use it. and its probably the same with most wells...
Mike

doodle1800

I used it. A $30 filter. If you are short on funds it helps. It rids the chlorine and phosphates. It can't hurt in MO.
You have well water - no chlorine I presume...

michaeltx

no theres no chlorine in well water but most tap water filters wont filter out heavy metals, phosphates, or nitrates which are in most wells.
Mike

calvindo

Originally posted by temple2101
Hey guys, I'm new here but have already learned sooooo much. I just purchased an ro/di unit last night on ----. Do a search on ---- for ro/di and you will come up with a few different ones. The one I bought was $120 shipped and is a 6 stage unit. Email me if you want the details for it. I haven't gotten it yet or used it, but from EVERYTHING I have read it is essential for your tank.

Did you buy the Aqua-Safe ro/di unit? I did too, last week. Just havent gotten a chance to use it yet. how do you like the unit?

doodle1800

No offense Mike - but how do you know this? (won't filter heavy metals, etc)... I'm not disputing you, just curious..

michaeltx

I had the ecowater company come out and test the water out of the well and then through an aquarium pharamsuticals tap water filter and a brita filter and it still tested postive for all after the RO test 0 for all.
granted that the levels were lower than before the filter but they were still present. the filters are mainly for solids and coloration rather than eliminating those.there are some things it does take out completely though. in FW most of them arent a big deal but in a reef setup they can cause damage.
I was corious as well when I was getting everything installed and thats the only reason I know LOL
but I understand the questioning though no biggie.
personally I dont have the tests for these things but they do
Mike

temple2101

calvindo --- yes, that's the one i bought, however I haven't gotten it yet. It looks like a nice unit though, especially for the price!