Tap water?

infanterene

I am still cycling my tank. I used tap water because I started the tank before I knew about this forum. After my tank is cycled can I do water changes with RO water to correct my blunder. Maybe 10% evry week for 20 weeks? I dont want to start all over again.

surfnturf

I wouldn't sweat it, there is a chance that your tap water is fine. Take a sample of your tap water to the LFS and have them test it. If it is bad, do the water changes after the cycle with RO water. HTH

nacl-h2o

Most people start with tap. Just use a regular schedule of water changes with RO/RODI/distilled to remove anyting that may be bad. But do test for copper and if it's high do the quicker water changes until it's undetecable.

surfnturf

I agree with Nacl-H20, but if you do have detectable copper, then the substrate and any live rock is ruined.

shoer

Your tap is just fine and chances of copper are low.... Just start after you cycle with your large water change and go from there.

jhead

Tap water is OK to use if you test it and now what is in it. The real danger comes from the Chlorine, Phosphates, and Copper that might be found in it.