temper glass?

R

ramon6249

Is there anyway to tell if my tank is made out of temper glass? I am looking at haveing it drilled, but the guy who is doing it asked if it was tempered or not...I have no clue. When I bought it I was told it was Oceacionc or how ever you spell it. The guy doing it told me to look around the edge for an ID# and to cal them...I can not find an ID#..can not find who made it...all I know is that is a 100g with 1/2 think glass...
What do i need to do from here to find out if I can drill it?
Thanx
Ramon

donmgicwon

I would not assume it is tempered. In the back of the All-Glass Aquarium Booklet only about 33% of their aqaurium bottoms are. Tempered bottom aquariums can NOT be drilled.

donmgicwon

Anyone know why some are tempered? I have been wondering for a while but never got around to asking anyone.

D

dubbin1

Originally posted by donmgicwon
Anyone know why some are tempered? I have been wondering for a while but never got around to asking anyone.

Stronger and wont shatter like a glass window.

R

ramon6249

that is my plan dburr...drilling the back for a gravity overflow...but they guy will not touch it if it is tempered...and I do not blame him...but i have no way to tell if it is or not...

donmgicwon

I know what tempering does. My question was - why are only some tempered? Actually they do shatter. What they don't do is create sharp shards of glass. Tempered glass is much stronger but when they do break you end up with little balls or stones of glass that are not very sharp.

I'm sure you'll find that some are tempered as a quality feature. Tempered glass is 3 times as strong as regular glass and cost 2-3 times as much. You probably won't find it on budget tanks, and it is usually only used on the bottom.

fender

Very few (if any) tanks have sides/back that are tempered. The bottom is what usually gets reserved for that treatment.

dburr

that is my plan dburr...drilling the back for a gravity overflow...but they guy will not touch it if it is tempered...and I do not blame him...but i have no way to tell if it is or not...
I have only heard of the bottom being tempered. Never the sides. Go ahead and drill it.