Temperature fluctuation question

scotikis

My tank, which is still cycling, ranges in temperature from 74 - 78 degrees. Currently I have no heater in the system, but I do have a UV that I plan on plugging in once I get fish.
My questions are: Will this range in temperature hurt my future livestock? More specifically, if I reach both ends of this spectrum inside of 24 hours, am I going to stress out my fish?
Secondly, will a heater significantly reduce this temp swing? I suppose thats the whole purpose of the heater, but something tells me that I'll have to maintain a higher tank temperature (at the upper parts of this range...near 77,78)
Finally, should I determine if a heater is necessary once I plug in the UV? I don't know how much heat the UV will transmit to the water, if any.
Thanks for your help. Scott

fishlawyer

Originally Posted by Scotikis
http:///forum/post/2963511
My tank, which is still cycling, ranges in temperature from 74 - 78 degrees. Currently I have no heater in the system, but I do have a UV that I plan on plugging in once I get fish.
My questions are: Will this range in temperature hurt my future livestock? More specifically, if I reach both ends of this spectrum inside of 24 hours, am I going to stress out my fish?
Secondly, will a heater significantly reduce this temp swing? I suppose thats the whole purpose of the heater, but something tells me that I'll have to maintain a higher tank temperature (at the upper parts of this range...near 77,78)
Finally, should I determine if a heater is necessary once I plug in the UV? I don't know how much heat the UV will transmit to the water, if any.
Thanks for your help. Scott

The one big answer here is to get a heater. Plain and simple. It should stabilize things significantly.

fishlawyer

Originally Posted by Scotikis
http:///forum/post/2963516
Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.
No biggie. Keep an eye out here though. There are LOTS of super knowledgeable people on here. They will have way more insight than me.
And welcome to the hobby! You are going to have some real fun!

scotikis

Hey nycbob, thnx for the feedback. re: UV. when I researched tanks, I got a lot of opinions on how to set it up for a FOWLR..and opinions abound. I settled on a 125 w the following:
300lbs sand (deep bed)
130 lbs live rock
39 gal 'Fuge
and UV.
To answer your question, I followed the opinion that the benefits reeped from a UV outweigh the cost - at least in a FOWLR. I'm no disease freak, but it sounds logical that a uv would help reduce the occurances. you're of different opinion? Thanks, Scott

bang guy

It depends on the livestock you keep. For many tropical animals 74 is too cold. For some it's just right.