tempered or not?

weberian

I just called Aqueon Products the owner of All-Glass and they're sending me a free catalog which shows which tanks are tempered on the bottom (see the last page of the catalog).
I asked her specifically about the 20g long and the 29 gal and both are NOT tempered on the bottom. I will post the sizes of anyone who wants to know after I receive the catalog.

meleerock

I believe you can go to the all-glass website and look at the catalog in a pdf format. not sure if it is the same catalog though.
Bryan

maelv

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
i think all tank manf only make the bottom of the tanks tempered
I contacted Perfecto and they said my 220 with corner overflows are not tempered on the bottom...struck me as odd..but oh well.

meleerock

Originally Posted by Weberian
Well, 5 or 6 mouse clicks proved that one wrong. Aqueon has no catalog PDF's at all.
They changed the website around. I remember looking at it on their old website.

meleerock

Originally Posted by SCSInet
All AGA tanks over 37 gallons have tempered bottoms.
None have tempered sides.
you always seem to save the day!

05xrunner

Originally Posted by maelv
I contacted Perfecto and they said my 220 with corner overflows are not tempered on the bottom...struck me as odd..but oh well.
that seems really really strange. Thats ALOT of weight..you would think they would def temper that

brandan

Originally Posted by SCSInet
All AGA tanks over 37 gallons have tempered bottoms.
None have tempered sides.
ALL tanks that are in the FW kits are tempered. EVERY panel of the tank is tempered, sides, back, front, bottom. TRUST me, I found this out the hard way, got half way through the hole and it exploded.

maelv

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
that seems really really strange. Thats ALOT of weight..you would think they would def temper that
I completely agree with you and found it rather difficult to swallow...and for a brief moment I even considered drilling the bottom......i think I am not going to test it.....

maxalmon

Originally Posted by maelv
I completely agree with you and found it rather difficult to swallow...and for a brief moment I even considered drilling the bottom......i think I am not going to test it.....
I was at the Orlando Pet Expo trade show and talked with "Oceanic" they used to be tempered but are now switching all their tanks over to non-tempered and I think he said that All-Glass was going the same route. When I questioned him about strength and weight his responce was that they had done all the testing and engineering and that it was not a problem to use non-tempered glass because they (his) company used thicker glass and that it simply was not a problem. He also mentioned that people were always wanting to drill the oceanic tanks and had nothing but problems, so now they could drill them. This info was direct from the source. I also think that All-Glass, Oceanic, Coralife and several others are all owned by Pet Central, a multi billion dollar company

scsinet

ALL tanks that are in the FW kits are tempered. EVERY panel of the tank is tempered, sides, back, front, bottom. TRUST me, I found this out the hard way, got half way through the hole and it exploded.
Did you find out for certain that the sides are tempered apart from the experience you had? AGA's technical department gave me the info I posted, so I'm wondering if it's possible that you just had a bad drilling experience.
I've had non-tempered glass explode the way tempered does when drilled before.
At the same time though, the rep I was talking to was referring to individual tanks, not those included with kits, but I would expect that what they sell in kits are the same tanks as the ones they sell individually.

chilwil84

tempered or not if you dont keep the drill bit perfectly square to the tank you can shatter the glass by allowing the bit to bite (or just pressure to much)to the glass to much on one side