Tesselata Eel or Snowflake?

fishin family

Has anyone ever had a Tesselata Eel, or have any info on them? We all really love the way it looks, but I think they're fairly rare. We're trying to really get a grip on what we're going to put in our tank. I've heard great things about Snowflakes, but never heard anything on a Tesselata. Any info would be appreciated, thanks! :)

lionfish

LionFish says......
Yeah, Tesselatas (a.k.a - Honeycomb Eels) are very aggressive with a nasty attitude to just about everything it meets up with. I recommend you go with the Snowflake which is much more docile and safe. Tesselata's have been known to bite the hand that feeds it. Eels have poor eyesight and Tesselata's have a bad attitude, not a good combo there. I like my Snowflake. He is an easy-going fish and doesn't bother my Tusk or Lion. And Tesselata's need a much bigger tank than Snowflakes. And just in case you don't know, eels are good at escaping from tanks, so a sturdy hood is necessary to keep your eel in the tank. Hope this helps.

grouperhead

good choice w/ the snowflake, i love mine. hes a great eater, and a really cool fish. if i could chose one though, id definatley go with a tesselata, they are probably my favorite fish. another thing is your tank is too small for one, they need at least a 175-200 minimum, since they can reach 6+ feet. bo

guppie

My lfs has a tesselata that they have sold 2 diferent times, and was brought back because it was too aggresive. I would go with the snowflake, I have had mine for about 4 months and it is a great addition to my tank, mine is very active always out swimming never bothers any other fish, except for the sleeper goby that never was seen again, my fault. I don't think you can go wrong with a snowflake. Good Luck

skirk

I would prefer the honeycomb (tesselata) based on appearance but also realize they can't be kept with as many fish s the snowflake. I watched one eat a 8 to 9" lionfish down in a matter of seconds. Just took him head first so that his "dorsal defense system" folded down and the needles became no problem. So if you want other fish then go for the snowflake. But the honeycomb is a great purcase for eel lovers.

fishin family

Just a little update for all of you who helped us pick our eel.. :)
We bought our little baby Snowflake today, and we just love him to death!! He's about 8" long, and has gorgeous color. The pics on these sites just do them absolutely no justice. He's found himself a nice rock with lots of intermingling holes, and likes to weave through and poke his out of the top a few inches.. he's the coolest :) He's really mild mannered, too; all the other fish came up to say "Hi", and he just sits there all cool. Thanks for the advice everyone!!