test kits, what ones

jesatfis

ok are any of you farmilliar with aquarium pharmasuticals salt watter master test kit? it contains amonia, nitrate, nitrite, and high range p.h.
ok questions are
do i need others and what should the levels be of all

lawdawg161

That's the kit that I have. It's the most inexpensive that I've seen and it seems to be just fine. The only problem I'm having is that I'm going blind trying to match the colors on the cards to the colors in the tubes. It's very difficult to tell the difference sometimes.

msd2

I agree the testing kits are not something you want to go as cheap as possible. I suggest salfert for ease of use and accurate results.
Since your going reef the min tests you will need are nh3, ph, nitrate, ite, calcium, and alk.

S

sw_h2o

Sorry to hijack but what would be the min. tests for a fish only tank? We don't have those test at my lfs and I don't do credit cards so I'm trying to find some on auction.

mbrands

jesatfis - I use the Aquarium Pharmaceticals (sp?) and haven't had an issue. Sometimes the color is between 2 shades, but as long as I know it is in an acceptable range I don't worry about it. I think to do reef you'd also want to test calcium and alkalinity. If I understand it correctlly, alkalinity is a measure of your tank's ability to maintain a constant pH reading. By that rational, if you maintain a constant alk you shouldn't really have to test for pH. Anyone have a different opinion?
SW_H2O - For FO or FOWLR you want to check temperature, salinity, pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.