Test Results

scubatiffy

I just tested my tank and came up with a PH of 8.5 and Alkalinity as "high" (my test kit catagorizes it into low, medium and high). Salinity is 1.025, Calcium 450, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0 and Nitrite 0.05. Should I be worried about the Ph and Alkalinity levels?

yosemite sam

Are you using the Red Sea alk test? Get a Salifert test kit. Red Sea test kits are not worth the trouble. Why they have the 'high, medium, low' is beyond me because it's worthless. Don't worry about that until you get a test kit that gives you actual numbers in dkh or meq/L. As for the PH, what test kit are you using. Getting a digital PH meter is much more exact. 8.5 is at the high end of things, but not critical. Do your corals/fish look OK?

scubatiffy

All fish and corals look fine to me. I've recently had an outbreak of algae and cyano bacateria, however trying to fix it by controling the lighting. Thanks for the advice on the test kit, I thought that was strange, too!

aldog51

If I were you I would invest in a PinPoint PH monitor. They are very accurate once properly calibrated. They cost like 80 bucks and work very well.