Thank you guys!! Cycle time

Shilpan

You guys are awesome!! 400L aqua one now started its cycle, all thanks to the awesome members here. The partially acid washed dry rock has just enough die off to provide a constant level of ammonia around 0.5ppm for the last 3 days.
Now if I can just get this darn skimmer adjusted it keeps overflowing 6-8 hours after i set it halfway up the neck.

Will post my cycle progress here!! Thanks again.

jay0705

You guys are awesome!! 400L aqua one now started its cycle, all thanks to the awesome members here. The partially acid washed dry rock has just enough die off to provide a constant level of ammonia around 0.5ppm for the last 3 days.
Now if I can just get this darn skimmer adjusted it keeps overflowing 6-8 hours after i set it halfway up the neck.

Will post my cycle progress here!! Thanks again.
Skimmers can be tricky lol

Shilpan

Do you guys think I should turn on the lights and not put the GFO in yet so I get the diatom bloom during cycling to use up excess nutrients and silicates? Assuming when they die the protein skimmer will remove them?

Or just leave lights off and run GFO (seachem Phosnet)?

deejeff0442

I would leave the lights off and not run gfo .
I let the tank do its thing. I wouldn't even bother with the skimmer for a while

Shilpan

Yes :) I'll be ghost feeding once the ammonia readings reach 0. Probably 4-5 pellets every alternate day.

The die off from the rocks has the ammonia at 0.5ppm for the past week. Just sitting there waiting for the bacteria

deejeff0442

Pellets? Not sure if that will work . I never used pellets to feed.
I would still light feed every 3 days during the cycle

2quills

I don't see much harm in running gfo for phosphate and silicate removal now. Can save yourself the hassle of trying to remove it later.

Some feel that running a skimmer from day 1 will prolong the cycle. That isn't necessarily true either.

I ran both the last time I set my tank up. The tank cycled just fine and haven't had a single algae outbreak in the display yet in nearly 12 months. I used all of my old rock (not cured). Left lights off for the first 2 months. Then used minimal light in the display until the algae in my refugium was well established first.

Shilpan

Hey guys just been playing around and learning more about my tank. I have two questions.

1) So the evaporation takes about 10 days before it can change enough to change salinity from 1.024 to almost 1.025.
Does this mean that I can safely top off water once a week since salinity is not changing?

2) I set my heaters at 25 and the water was 24. So now they're at 26 and the water is 25. Aqua one heaters. 300w x 2 heaters.
Is this variation in temperature normal? The temp does stay consistent. I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

geridoc

Hey guys just been playing around and learning more about my tank. I have two questions.

1) So the evaporation takes about 10 days before it can change enough to change salinity from 1.024 to almost 1.025.
Does this mean that I can safely top off water once a week since salinity is not changing?

2) I set my heaters at 25 and the water was 24. So now they're at 26 and the water is 25. Aqua one heaters. 300w x 2 heaters.
Is this variation in temperature normal? The temp does stay consistent. I'm wondering if I'm missing something.
Weekly top-off should be fine, but be sure to keep checking since the rate of evaporation varies with seasons. As far as the temperature, the haters are not rocket science-level equipment. So long as the temperature stays constant your fish should be fine.

deejeff0442

My 90 with a 20 sump evaporates 1 or 2 gallons a day.
My temp swings all the time 78 to 81 . Doesn't seem to bother anything

Shilpan

Thank you!
Day 8, ammonia happily staying at 0.5ppm.

Skimmer is working well now pulling out a tea coloured skimmate.

Shilpan

After the cycle is it safe to add one soft coral with my new clowns?

Either GSP, pulsing Xenia, mushrooms or leather coral.

Haha I thought one coral growing nicely would look good. Or is this one of those don't rush, wait 3-4 months things?