Thanks Cveach!

heithingi

Hi Cveach,
I tried to send this privately, but for whatever reason, it will not work. Anyway, wanted to tell you thank you for your suggestion of starting an aggressive setup with our 120 tank. I thought long and hard about it, read alot, asked about 1000 questions on the aggressive board, and decided to do it! Currently, the tank has three chromis, checkerboard wrasse, marine betta, niger trigger, tiny snowflake eel, trochus snails....with a pinktail trigger, spiney puffer, and lunare OR sunset wrasse (like them both!) still on the plans to be added. We went with a bunch of LR and a DSB. It is a fantastic tank and we are enjoying it immensely. Thanks so much for suggesting this. :cool:
Lynda

heithingi

Hi Cveach,
LOL, not to worry, there!! I do still feed with my fingers in the water, but watch the little guys very closely. My hubby did try, yesterday, to feed the eel by hand, as he is not eating yet. The niger really hovered and checked his hand out....hubby stood totally still, niger changed his mind. That will be the last time we try that! LOL
Hermit, DSB means deep sand bed. I used 100 pounds live sand, and finished up about 20 pounds of CC and aragonite I had laying around. In my 45, I used a plenum and swore I would NEVER EVER do that again. LOL
Lynda

cveach

Do that with the wrong triger and I have seen some pretty nasty wounds. What have you been feeding your eel? Try some table shrimp injected with zoe every few days while he is young.

heithingi

Hi Cveach,
We improvised a new feeding stick, one that is deeper than our tank, thank goodness. The one we ordered in just made us laugh. It is about 15 inches long, whereas our tank is 30 inches deep. Slight problem with that one! LOL We would like to keep our flesh on our bones.
The eel ate today! He ate 1/4 cube of mysid shrimp AND two silverbacks! Too cool, eh? Now I am trying to figure out how on earth one makes sure everyone in the aggressive sort of tank gets enough to eat. I am feeding two to three times a day, but the damsels, niger, and wrasse seem to eat it all, the poor betta is not getting more than a few mouthfuls, at best. We are now putting food directly into his cave with the feeding stick. he is still my favorite, so have to get him his food!
Also, I cannot believe how much the damsels, niger, and wrasse eat, plus they are serious pigs about it! I am feeding them about 4 cubes of mysid shrimp a feeding, or about 10 silverbacks, or about 15 krill. With the squid, about an 1/8 of a package! And this is 2-3 times a day! Seems like an awful lot, especially compared to my two peaceful tanks. They are fun, though. Thanks again, Cveach, I am having a blast with this tank.
Lynda