The 21st Century Reef

fishman830

Well, as it lays out, my father and Uncle, and recently myself, have been working on this " Controller" type thing for water towers in the City, for ConEdison to control various items such as water level temp, so on...
Now, the 3 of us were talking, and it appears i would be able to have one of these to control my reef, watch things such as, temp and lighting (which i can control anywhere in the world with an internet connection, and can watch any of these features) ALK, calcium, dissolved O2, pH, and whatever else i can think of.

msd2

I read on here or some other board someone is doing just that with old lynksys (sp?) wireless routers. Appearently its linx based boxes and can be used to tx lots of data and with some new boards it can be controlled remote via network to do some basic tasks.

msd2

Originally Posted by Fishman830
sounds like it could work but wouldn't they need probes that have the cat-e5 connectors?
Im not sure how they interfaced it to be honest. The guys doing it seemed pretty handy w/a soder gun and etching boards so they may have created new connections along w/new code to interp. the output of the probes.