The 75 Gal Is Finally Done, Thanks!

gregghia

Well the day has come. I just finished the set up of the tank. Its been a long 6 months of learning, changing equipment, spending $ and reading. I learned so much from SWF.com and others namely Aquatica here in Raleigh. Got some great deals on equiment and frags, thanks Grumpygils. So here it is the 75 gallon with sump that I did myself. Not to blow the horn but I am proud that I finally did it. Funny to look back at my first couple posts and not even know what a skimmer is. The most rewarding thing is now that I have learned this myself no matter what happens not only do I understand but I can fix it myself. Of everything I am most proud of the sump!
And despite the fact that I got TOTALLY hosed over by the douche bag father and son tandem known as Down Under in Garner, NC I must thank them because if they had not completely worked me over as they so perfectly did then I would have never learned as much as I did. So in a way I am thankful that things happened the way they did....
I have learned that patience is the key, buy quality equipment the first time around and listen and respect everyone's opinion, wether good or bad you can take something from it. So I wish I could post all the pics I have taken today but I will just leave the 5 I can. Thanks to those you helped me on the board!

A

azul1994

Great looking setup. I also like the way your sump looks like.

tyrone

I like the ship too! Where do i get one? I like that fact that you can have all this coral and natural enviroment, yet still realize its an aquarium and fun to look at! Great Job!!

grumpygils

Originally Posted by gregghia
Well the day has come. I just finished the set up of the tank. Its been a long 6 months of learning, changing equipment, spending $ and reading. I learned so much from SWF.com and others namely Aquatica here in Raleigh. Got some great deals on equiment and frags, thanks Grumpygils. So here it is the 75 gallon with sump that I did myself. Not to blow the horn but I am proud that I finally did it. Funny to look back at my first couple posts and not even know what a skimmer is. The most rewarding thing is now that I have learned this myself no matter what happens not only do I understand but I can fix it myself. Of everything I am most proud of the sump!
And despite the fact that I got TOTALLY hosed over by the douche bag father and son tandem known as Down Under in Garner, NC I must thank them because if they had not completely worked me over as they so perfectly did then I would have never learned as much as I did. So in a way I am thankful that things happened the way they did....
I have learned that patience is the key, buy quality equipment the first time around and listen and respect everyone's opinion, wether good or bad you can take something from it. So I wish I could post all the pics I have taken today but I will just leave the 5 I can. Thanks to those you helped me on the board!
Greg,
Looks great. Ship looks great but have fun keeping the sails clean! Hilarious post about the state of our LFSs here in Raleigh! You know I want to write a book named "What the LFS won't tell You". I still think Jeff at Fish World is tops. Keep it up!
Mc

grumpygils

Originally Posted by grumpygils
Greg,
Looks great. Ship looks great but have fun keeping the sails clean! Hilarious post about the state of our LFSs here in Raleigh! You know I want to write a book named "What the LFS won't tell You". I still think Jeff at Fish World is tops. Keep it up!
Mc

Oh, BTW,
I found the name of that brown hairy frag you bought. It is called Atlantic Xynia.

autofreak44

that tank is clean and done right! like the fish, the coral, and for novelty the ship...
clean sump, great job!
hopefully my tank will be all clean like yours... i have the experience just not the money...
again, looks great

gregghia

Thanks all for the great comments. Yeah the ship is great. Got that as a gift. Think it was from the Drs. website but I have seen them in local pet stores.
As soon as those sails turn green/brown I am cutting them off and tossin em!
Grump that Atlantic Xynia is my favorite coral. I watch that thing all the time. Looks like hair blowin in the wind...

grumpygils

Thanks all for the great comments. Yeah the ship is great. Got that as a gift. Think it was from the Drs. website but I have seen them in local pet stores.
As soon as those sails turn green/brown I am cutting them off and tossin em!
Grump that Atlantic Xynia is my favorite coral. I watch that thing all the time. Looks like hair blowin in the wind...

I like it too........give it back! Just kidding. I have a large one upstairs that I am going to start to frag. It grows surprisingly quick. I saw a tank once with the entire back covered with it and it looked really cool blowing in the current. I am going to see if I can get a wall to grow in the frag tank. It would be easy to razor off and frag then. As far as the sails, train your snails to clean and press the sails. Go to Down

[hr]
, I am sure they have snails that can do that but they are rare and expensive, but he has them!
Mc

reefer545

Everything looks GREAT! Get rid of that stupid ship though. No offense. to you or those who say they like it. Obviously you have done a lot of research adn done everything in your power to do it right the first time, which will go a long way. you should be proud of yourself. I believe you will want the space the ship is in to use as real estate for more LR or coral or both. Enjoy it while you can, but sooner or later you will realize it belongs in a FW tank and not your sweet reef tank. Once again no offense. you should be proud of yourself, and enjoy stocking that tank, but most of all appreciate every step of the way. I really hope you are not young or I will feel like a jerk adn if you are, I am a jerk.
R545

gregghia

Originally Posted by REEFER545
Everything looks GREAT! Get rid of that stupid ship though. No offense. to you or those who say they like it. Obviously you have done a lot of research adn done everything in your power to do it right the first time, which will go a long way. you should be proud of yourself. I believe you will want the space the ship is in to use as real estate for more LR or coral or both. Enjoy it while you can, but sooner or later you will realize it belongs in a FW tank and not your sweet reef tank. Once again no offense. you should be proud of yourself, and enjoy stocking that tank, but most of all appreciate every step of the way. I really hope you are not young or I will feel like a jerk adn if you are, I am a jerk.
R545

No Reefer545 I am 34 years old no offense. Funny you said that. Since I got this tank I have thrown so much crap away because people, trying to be thoughtful, have bought me things "for the tank" not realizing its not appropriate for saltwater as much as fresh. Mother bought this with great intentions. I put it in there as she was there as I was finishing. I didnt have the heart to tell her.... but I do like the way it looked. Yes as I put it in I saw how much real estate it took!

grumpygils

No Reefer545 I am 34 years old no offense. Funny you said that. Since I got this tank I have thrown so much crap away because people, trying to be thoughtful, have bought me things "for the tank" not realizing its not appropriate for saltwater as much as fresh. Mother bought this with great intentions. I put it in there as she was there as I was finishing. I didnt have the heart to tell her.... but I do like the way it looked. Yes as I put it in I saw how much real estate it took!

Funny! Greg, tell him about the special snails Down Under is going to sell you to clean the ship inside and out!
Mc

gregghia

Originally Posted by grumpygils
Funny! Greg, tell him about the special snails Down Under is going to sell you to clean the ship inside and out!
Mc

Feedin the fire Grump....
Down Under can blow it out their ..... I have already got at least 4 people to not go there to buy. Can't make them go out of business but can help them lose more for screwing me over.

reefer545

FHEWW! I was crossing my fingers that you wouldnt be a 12 yr. kid who went adn told his dad on me or that I hurt his feelings.
I understand the gifts thing. When I first got my tank, a few people actualy bought me coral that had no business in my tank but the LFS sold to them anyway. Those were always tricky situations to get out of. Arent Moms sweet though? I totally understand the ship thing then. Got any new pics, if you have addded anything -- maybe a tire or boot LOL. J/K. Have a great day adn thanks for understanding.
R545