the aftermath, what now?

whites60

Hello, As instructed by everyone here I transfered all the sick fish over to another tank. I was able to remove all the dead fish except for 2 one being a small spotted madrin goby, I have heard if a mandrin isnt removed he could wipe out eveyrthing, coral included, any truth to this?
Its a 90g reef tank and everything is ok but I cant get my nitrates to drop below 20, I am asssuming its because of the dead carcuses, I have done 20 g water changes for the last 2 days and I was going to do another today, is this too much or is there another way I can lower my nitrates? Any help would be greatly appreciated.............George

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What's going on with the other fish?
Is the mandarin dead and still in the tank?

whites60

Sadly enough I began with 15 beautiful fish and now I am down to 2 chromas, 1 six line wrasse and a red hawk fish and so far they all seem fine, and no one else looks infected. The only thing that is a little strange is the six line twitches, he will be just swimming along and start twitcing his head and tail, like something is shocking him, I know its unpleasent for him because his top fin spikes up the way it does when he is he feels threatened.
Could he be sick, for a while I thought he could have been the host although he doesnt show any other symptons, and to answer your other question Beth, Yes the mandrin goby is dead, he is between 2 rocks that I am unable to get out, I have him wedged and one other fish dead I cant get out. all others I have been able to get out either right when they died or on thier last fin I would transfer them over to another tank and let them pass there. I have a serious clean up crew as it is, huge mexican snails, blue and red leg crabs, large bristle star, narsium..sp snails and some cleaner shrimp. but even with that its still terrible for my tank huh? Beth, what else can I do, as of today i have done 3 20 g water changes, Thank you much for your help. I have already lost all my fish, I cant lose my coral............George:help: :help: :help:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Are you getting ammonia? Usually when a fish dies in my tank, my cleaning crew just comes in and takes care of it.