The Beginning of My 55g Reef

I just downgraded from a 125g to a 55g RR last week because I did not have the space for my 125g. It has a 20g long sump and I have the stuff for plumbing ready. I have 40lbs of sand waiting to go in the DT, and I'll get some for my sump later. I just put in an order for a Mag Drive 700, a refractometer, and two Koralia Water Circulation Pumps Pump 1 version. Hopefully that'll get here by the end of the week, if not then early next week. Also this weekend I'm picking up a dual 175w MH and dual 110w VHO made by Hamilton from a guy locally and will install that into my hood. He said the VHO bulbs are 8 months old and I'll find out how old the Halide bulbs are, but hopefully I'll get some kind of 20K or 14K at least lighting closer to Christmas when I get some more money. I also put about 40lbs of dried rock from my aquapod in the sump. Here are some pics of my progress so far.

markw

Snug fit for the sump, but 20g longs work wonderfully for the purpose. Ill be following along. I would reccommend putting the camera (or phone if I remember correctly) on something stable to take the pictures, though.

Mark

Originally Posted by Markw
http:///forum/post/3139958
Snug fit for the sump, but 20g longs work wonderfully for the purpose. Ill be following along. I would reccommend putting the camera (or phone if I remember correctly) on something stable to take the pictures, though.

Mark
I'll pull out my digital camera out of the closet next set of pics.

Also I don't have a stock list yet and need suggestions.
Defenite fish:
1xLemonpeel Angel
2xBlack and White Clowns
Would a blue spotted puffer be reef safe?

markw

Originally Posted by Sooner_Reefer
http:///forum/post/3139970
I'll pull out my digital camera out of the closet next set of pics.

Also I don't have a stock list yet and need suggestions.
Defenite fish:
1xLemonpeel Angel
2xBlack and White Clowns
Would a blue spotted puffer be reef safe?
Im not sure about that particular species, but the more 'pudgy' puffers are heard to be reef safe the majourity of the time. They will nip at moving inverts and SPS though. Reaqlly depends on the individual most of the time, though.
Mark

Well something happened to the order I made,
so I'm just going to have to find a mag pump locally. I guess I'll call a few lfs and see if they have one. Disappointed that I couldn't get the koralia's though. I'll have to go talk to the bank and see what's going on.
I'll just forget about the puffer. But is there any butterfly fish that is reef safe and small enough for a 55g?

markw

Its always a gamble with butterflies as far as Im concerned. Ive never researched them so I will let the others chime in on this one. Flame angel would be a beautiful addition if you wanted an angel. Im fairly certain they are reef safe..
Mark

I'm not a big fan of flame angels, I like the lemonpeels much better. That's what I plan on getting and the rest is up in the air besides a pair of black and white clowns.

Alright guys, need some suggestions for a stocklist. I look but nothing catches my eye. It seems only nano fish can fit in a 55g, and I'm debating on whether to not get inverts and get a blue dot puffer and maybe a hawkfish or get inverts and other reef safe fish. Is there a butterfly fish that's reef safe?

ryancw01

Lemonpeels like to nip a lot. I had one and it was crazy and niped at everything in my previous tank so much that my corals would not open up at all. It even nipped at my snowflake eel. Terrible fish for a reef, but I could have just gotten a crazy one though. I know each fish has thier own personality.
Oh yeah...GO TEXAS!!!

Hmm well I like lemonpeels so I'll just give it a try, if not then I'll go with a Coral Beauty. Does adding the angel or coral first help with nipping?
Texas sucks and we'll kill you guys in three weeks.

ryancw01

That was my theory too so I added the lemonpeel last and it still terrorized the corals and my poor snowflake eel. Was a really pretty fish and a fast swimmer, but I wanted my corals to be open though.
And about Texas getting beaten...no way dude...did you see my boy McCoy throwing to Shipley on a boat....ON A BOAT!!! That is how good that combo is...unstoppable...

Originally Posted by Ryancw01
http:///forum/post/3141808
That was my theory too so I added the lemonpeel last and it still terrorized the corals and my poor snowflake eel. Was a really pretty fish and a fast swimmer, but I wanted my corals to be open though.
And about Texas getting beaten...no way dude...did you see my boy McCoy throwing to Shipley on a boat....ON A BOAT!!! That is how good that combo is...unstoppable...
Yeah but you don't have a QB with an awesome mustache.
Though you may win this year, there's no way Texas is going to win the National Championship.
Any more ideas for a stock list?

Just placed an order for a Mag Pump 700, 2xHydor Koralia Powerheads 600gph, and a refractometer. Should be here in about a week. Then I'll place an order for some live rock. Hopefully will be getting lights this weekend.

Ok here's what I'm thinking for a stocklist since I'm limited by wanting a reef and a 55g:
-Lemonpeel Angel
-2xBlack and White Clownfish
-Royal Gramma
-Sixline Wrasse
-3xBangaii Cardinalfish
-Yellow Goby
Pretty common fish, but still cool looking, and I guess the lemonpeel is kinda unusual. I'll try to make up for the comoness with inverts and corals.

Alrighty got the package today. Here's pics of the stuff. I'm about go and try again to get the retrofit kit assembled. Hopefully will have sucsess with that and will post pics of it hopefully all assembled.

Got lights set up. Here is some pics. Metal Hallides seem weak and look less than 10K and the VHO's are antics only and are old and am having trouble getting them to work so I will be replacing all bulbs in a month or so. Hopefully will get some 20K MH's and don't know about VHo's. Maybe a combo of an antic and a 10K.