The Bro's first Saltwater Aquarium 29g BioCube

the bro

Well here is the beginning of my thread. Wanted to get it started plus im sitting in class bored atm. I happend to run across a great deal at a lfs a BioCube 29g on sale for the hoildays $230! So i picked it up and it sat in my room in the box for awhile while i saved money up, and researched reef tanks. I have spend countless hours reading threads on this site, even flipped though a few books. I have a pretty good grasp on most of the basics and still have alot to learn. I must say all of you are very inspirational and im glad to finally make a post!
What I have

29g Biocube with stand
20 lbs of figi pink live sand
20 lbs of the best live rock i could find/afford
Basic testing supplies
Lighting timer
Tank is completely stock looking forward to getting rid of the bio balls and going with the converted 2nd chamber refugrim like Nissan did.
Will test my parameters for today and post them when i make it home.

meowzer

Hey...welcome to SWF...and you must know (since you have read threads) YOU HAVE TO POST PICS :)

the bro

Yup of course ill post pics of my progress and new additions and try my best to keep them updated. Right now my tank is just a big pile of "cooking" rocks somewhat in the shape of what im going for. It has a few snails and hermits only because the lps said they will surivie the tank cycling, but ill post a pic of it anyways.
From what i have read im suposed to do a 50% water change into day 4 or 5 is this true or the normal 10% would do? I have been picking off anything dead looking that i run across. Also i blast my rock with my turkey baster daily to knock off the debris the lr and get it suspened. I have been cleaning my filter daily while this has been going on.

yannifish

Good luck!

I think you will find it a very enjoyable, rewarding hobby.
Is the plan for the tank to be a reef?
What kinds of critters do you plan on keeping?

the bro

Good luck!
I think you will find it a very enjoyable, rewarding hobby.
Is the plan for the tank to be a reef?
What kinds of critters do you plan on keeping?
Yes i am planning on having a reef thats 1 of the best parts of the hobby!
As far critters i have made a small list "that i dont have with me right now" of peaceful hardy fish for a start. I'll post the list when i find it, since i know the names of very few coral or fish right now. The easier the better for me right now. But after the tank cycles i plan on a few more critters for the cuc and 1 easy soft coral and 1 easy fish to get the tank kicked off!

nissan577

ok number one NO HERMITS! they knock off everything!
but get astrea, ceriths, nass snails and a cleaner shrimp will be nice

the bro

if you need help with the fuge let me know.
Will do nissan thanks for the reply buddy! Gotta save up for the light fist since im broke atm from buying the setup. Whats a decent clip on light for a fuge and whats a ball park cost? After i have the light i'll get the cheato and the piece of filter.

the bro

Better yet nissan would you be as so kind to post a material list of what i need for the fuge mod start to finish? Thanks

the bro

Awesome maybe i can get around to getting the fuge going this weekend, if nothing else just getting the material. Thanks for being so helpful much appreciated my man!

nissan577

no problem. glad to help out a new fellow reefer!
join us here:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/groups/

the bro

Question... since my tank is already cycling with the stock bio balls when i pull them out will this mess with my establishing biological filter? Or is it my tank so new it wont impact it?

the bro

but take put a few bio balls at a time
As in take out a few every day" of course making sure there are a few still left" until im ready to install the fuge? Just let the bacteria on them die or throw them in a bucket with tank water? Maybe throw a few into the chamber once the fuge is working? Good idea or bad?